Variable taste in the fat?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I have noticed for a while that the fat on my rabbits seems to be quite variable as to taste. Their diets didnt change but sometimes the fat will be sweet and nice and other times it will be bitter and nasty.

Any ideas why?

Being in FL. could it be temperature related? Hot-we're trying to get rid of the fat so lets make it bitter. Cooler-try to retain it so it's not so rancid tasting.

:shrug:

We usually love the fat, its just sometimes its not nice. It might be temp related. Will find out once this move is over and we have buns in the cold instead of the heat. :lol:

Have you been paying attention to the gender or age of the rabbits?
From my experience with other animals..
I'd suspect does to have tastier fat than bucks, and younger buns to be better than older ones, unless the buck/doe difference offsets that.

Homer":nyj5kx05 said:
GBov":nyj5kx05 said:
Will find out once this move is over and we have buns in the cold instead of the heat. :lol:
So when is the "Big" day?

Argh, still working on it but fingers crossed its all go for November! Have sold all my lovely buns to a really sweet young lady (who is now a member of RT :D ) who will do them proud. Must say, it was really nice to be hit with a hurricane and NOT have to bug out with 22 rabbits! :lol:

The age and sex thing? I havnt really paid enough attention but I did notice that last nights rabbits were both young as two fit in the bag and one was better than the other, fat taste wise, that is. Perhaps a buck and a doe but I dont remember that particular batch so no idea really.

I think I will pay MUCH better attention when next we get buns, its puzzles like this that keep me up at night! :lol:

Back