Puzzled by 2 kits...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleVie

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some insights into a breeding result that confuses me. I have a small colony of Standard Rex. My does are black, blue otter, lilac, and broken lilac. My buck is broken chocolate otter. All four of my does have recently had litters and I've been very careful to document each one so that they don't get mixed up. Tonight, I was taking photos of my kits when it struck me that my blue otter's litter has 2 (seemingly) black kits in it. I went back to the photo I took of the litter one day after they were born to see if maybe my dominant black doe had carried some kits to her buddy, but no -- there are two dark kits in the original litter pic as well. I didn't think that was possible? Or are these kits not really black and I'm missing something? Help! :)

Litters 928-1003 2016 (1 of 1).jpg

Litters 928-1003 2016 (1 of 6).jpg

Litters 928-1003 2016 (2 of 6).jpg

Litters 928-1003 2016 (3 of 6).jpg

Litters 928-1003 2016 (4 of 6).jpg

__________ Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:35 pm __________

Nevermind -- I think I just figured it out. Because Blue is a dilute of black and chocolate is not dilute it makes sense that I could get a black. Am I right dood? I think I was over-thinking things... <br /><br /> __________ Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:38 pm __________ <br /><br /> I guess I should be asking why they are selfs and not otters...

You are right about blue being dilute, but chocolate being not dilute, creating a black.

Self is recessive to otter - two otters bred together can make self as long as they both carry self (which apparently they do, since you got black babies)

Back