What's up with this chicken liver? *caution, graphic

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
DH went out to open the chickens up for me and finds this hen dead on the ground under the ramp... still warm. No marks on her. At first we thought maybe she fell and somehow broke her neck, but it felt like it was in tact. I decided to cut her open just out of curiosity since I do have one hen laying wonky eggs, sometimes even shell less. She didn't have any eggs in production, but plenty of yolks ready to go... no real surprise there since they are starting to back off on laying as we lose daylight, not to mention the crazy weather with the hurricane and cold front. The first part of what I assume was the liver I saw wasn't attached by much, if at all and was almost stringy (the piece setting on her tail). Same color and soft texture anyway. The rest of it was split - light and dark, and separated cleanly at the color line when I pulled it apart. Any ideas? I haven't opened up too many chickens so I don't have a good feel for what is or is not normal, but to me that doesn't seem right at all... or maybe there is something else obvious that I am missing?

I have a couple more pics, but I loathe photobucket, am maxed out on my computer memory, and the files are too big directly from my camera for direct upload to RT. I will mess with it tomorrow... bed time for now!

Her liver looks fine

Her gizzard/stomach looks covered in yellow fat or possibly she's suffering from egg yolk peritonitis

Her uterus/shell gland looks inflamed

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    673.7 KB · Views: 1,043
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 1,043
That pic is helpful! I was caught off guard with the fat as well, didn't know if that was normal or not (2 of the few I have seen the inside of were two meat birds that DH's cousin had in with his layers that I culled last year - they were full of fat, so my perception is a bit skewed). Is it normal for the gizzzard to be rock hard? I actually thought it was a stuck egg b/c the whiter tissue looked the same color as the blue eggs she possibly laid (she was one of the potential blue layers).

I will try and get a couple more pics up this afternoon... there was one that had some of the waiting yolks which might be helpful?

Latest posts

Back