Aquaponics Anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So, I have a empty 10 gallon fish tank just pumping clean water and have decided aquaponics is what I'm going to do. (Outside of aquaponics, I'm going to attempt to start some Rose bush growths, but we'll save that for another post once I figure out how I'm gonna do it and if it'll work) Back to the aquaponics, I have a empty 10 gallon tank, I already know what kind of fish I want however can't remember the name right now >3< (I'll mention it once I remember) I've looked at several youtube videos of it but I'm not quite sure how I want to set it up. I'll be growing herbs in it if that makes any difference, I'm not sure what herbs yet though. Does anyone have any advice as to how to set-up aquaponics on such a small scale? (I already have the tank but if it all works out then I'll eventually get a 100 gallon.)

I can't offer much help, since my own experience with aquaponics is somewhat limited. But if you plan to eat the plants, make sure you don't use regular dechlorinator when you add tap water to the tank. Vitamin C is a good alternative (although I can't remember the proportions). Also have a freshwater test kit (I really liked the API master kit) as you'll want to know what your ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are. Eventually you'll get into a rhythm and know how many fish (it won't be many in a 10 gallon tank, unless you want cloud minnows or something) will cycle with how many plants, but until you find that equilibrium, test the water every few days to make sure your fish aren't slowing being poisoned by nitrite or nitrate buildup.

Also, consider how you will be installing your plants into the tank. Many terrestrial plants don't do well with their roots permanently in water, although basil and mint seemed to do well for me. You'll want the water to constantly be cycling past the roots, so plant them in a tray with holes in the bottom and a loose substrate (think plastic bbs, small marbles, anything neutral that won't alter the ph in the water and provide a surface for roots to cling around) and have the filter return water to this tray rather than straight back into the tank. You're basically building a sump pump, using the plants as a filter media for the water.

Hopefully this is a little help, I'll try and answer any questions you may have if my explanations were not clear. I wish you good luck in this endeavor. :)

Fun! It's something I want to do in the future, just not sure yet what our game plan will be... still working on other projects :roll:

As for rose cuttings - not to hijack the thread - but I was able to get some cuttings from a funeral spray to sprout in my garden and if I can do it, I am guessing most anyone can :lol: They have already bloomed - they were just sections of stem at the end of April! (And just be aware of the type of roses you are propagating... some actually have copyrights on them making the practice illegal).

They have a copyright?! How silly, I'm not sure what kind of rose?! But from what I can tell they look similar to the ones the guy in the video I watched was propagating.

Nymphadora ~~ I'll be growing herbs above the fish tank, not in it, I'll put a picture below this :)
Something like this vv..
aquaponics-diagram.jpg
I will however invest in a PH test kit seeing as I'll probably need one to do this (I have yet to go through all of what I need) I won't be growing any plants inside the tank because from my understanding it's VERY hard to grow anything in such a small tank. As soon as I get my own set-up I'll show you guys, not sure where I'm gonna move my tank (Probably out into the game area, seeing it'll have a grow light, I don't want that shinning in my eyes all night)

That looks like a fairly simple set-up (and the simpler, the better, in my opinion). It is, in effect, still very much like having a sump pump filter for your aquarium.

Please make sure you get all the freshwater tests (pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, at least) as all will have to be monitored (at least initially) to find a good balance of plants to fish. Read up on the entire nitrogen cycle, as well, as it is vital to the success of your plants and fish. You want the fish to produce enough ammonia for the bacteria to convert into nitrite and nitrate, and then the plants will be able to take the nitrate and use it themselves. Ideally you want the fish to produce only enough ammonia that the plants will be able to use (once it's been converted to nitrate). If the plants aren't able to use the nitrates, they will build up and start slowly poisoning your fish. Ammonia and nitrite are more dangerous to fish, but once the bacteria colonies have built up, they should be converted relatively quickly.

In regards to the light... fish and plants don't need light 24 hours a day. Realistically a 12-14 hour light cycle is much better. The plants need time in the dark as much as the fish do, to perform their different functions. I used to use a christmas tree timer so that my tank was lit from 8am-8pm every day, automatically.

I will definitely do the research Nymphadora! I will be growing quite a few different kinds of herbs, I plan to turn them into tinctures, and essences :) And also to sell small plants I grow off of the mother if possible. I've had fish before and just used the push button light on the tank lid that came with it and I turn it on every morning and off every night (Not right now because I have no fish). I will be doing the research and deciding what herbs I want to grow as well :) I'm going to be using feeder fish because they are cheap, efficient, and I can feed them to the animals outside

ButtonsPalace":3w0ueeqi said:
I'm going to be using feeder fish because they are cheap, efficient, and I can feed them to the animals outside

I'm guessing that by feeder fish you mean common goldfish? Please be aware that goldfish can grow very large given adequate care, and they produce a heavy load of ammonia compared to other fish. I actually wouldn't recommend common goldfish in less than a 20 gallon tank (yes, I know some people keep them in bowls, but I generally find that to be an issue of ignorance to their needs). I am part of a goldfish keeping forum, and we frequently have people say "well we had 3 goldfish in a bowl, but they kept dying after a month, so we had to keep buying new ones". Yes, sometimes a goldfish will live for years in such conditions, but it will never reach its potential, and most likely suffer from mild to severe ammonia poisoning or nitrate poisoning over time. Plus, you don't want the balance of the aquaponic system to be in constant flux if you're losing fish and replacing them.

I'm very very sorry if I sound harsh in any way, I truly don't mean to be. I just want your aquaponic system to work as well as it possibly can, plus I have a soft spot in my heart for goldfish (I had 2 fantails that my husband says I spoiled rotten). If you meant any other type of fish as "feeder fish" (I suppose minnows could fall under that category), just make sure to do a little research to make sure you are able to provide them with the care they need. I appreciate the use of feeder fish as feeders, but I still want them to have a good life if they're to be kept alive.

Ok, I'm stepping off my soapbox now, I apologize if I overstepped any lines.

Yes, some kinds of roses have patents on them. This is something (for the most part) helps breeders by allowing them to profit for a certain amount of time off something they develop without compitition. They system has problems, but that is how it was originally intended. The patents are generally for 20 years so most rose varieties that are older than that, you should be able to propogate freely.

Best of luck with your aquaponics system. I'm following this thread with interest.

@ alforddm Well I'm growing roses for myself/rabbits. I plan to use them for cooking and feeding to my bunnies... I should probably see if it has a patent although I have no clue what type of Rose it is maybe I can find it somewhere?

@Nymphadora I think the feeder fish where I want to get them from are just cheap guppies, but if they are goldfish then thank you for letting me know! I had no idea goldfish needed so much space! But if they are goldfish I'll look into some other fish. Seeing as I only have a 10 gallon what kind of fish would you recommend? Do you know anyone who might know? I will also look into this in my own time but it's nice having people I know more than google telling me what I'm looking for.. I feel like it's more trustworthy :3 And no you didn't come off as harsh. I'm surprised goldfish need so much space. I may not get feeder fish, I just don't want to get attached to fish because my cat apparently likes to fish (I didn't think he could get into the tank, the only hole is above the filter)

Latest posts

Back