What is the difference?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iloverabbits18

Reaction score
I just saw a post with a picture about a Californian rabbit. I have Himalayan dwarf rabbits and they both look the same. What is the difference. Is the Cal. rabbit larger? Any suggestions :bunnyhop: ??

Himilayan is not just a breed but also a colour on the C-locus (denoted "ch") and accepted in many ARBA breeds.

Californians are a meat breed where the only ARBA accepted colour is himilayan, they have a commercial body type and weigh 8 to 12 pounds as adults

Californians are like four times the size of a dwarf, have different fur type, different head & ear shape, only come in Californian color. They're definitely a meat breed, and the only similarity between them and Himalayan netherland dwarfs is the color.

SableSteel":2v6qf3ft said:
Californians are like four times the size of a dwarf, have different fur type, different head & ear shape, only come in Californian color. They're definitely a meat breed, and the only similarity between them and Himalayan netherland dwarfs is the color.

So, the way I see it... A Californian is a Himalayan, but a Himalayan is not necessarily a Californian... kind of like how a square is a rectangle but a rectangle isn't a square :lol:

A Californian is a Himalayan, but a Himalayan is not necessarily a Californian...
Now lets get into what can be harlequin colored, but isn't a Harlequin, or what might be a Harlequin and not be what people refer to as harlequin colored. (like magpies) :lol:

Zass":lx25lig5 said:
A Californian is a Himalayan, but a Himalayan is not necessarily a Californian...
Now lets get into what can be harlequin colored, but isn't a Harlequin, or what might be a Harlequin and not be what people refer to as harlequin colored. (like magpies) :lol:

Yeeaaahhhhh... I'll pass on that one :lol: I learned that muddled up wording/definition when trying to sort through my rabbitry goals ;)

If you want to add some more confusion there is a breed called himalayans that are the only cylindrical body shape recognized. http://www.himalayanrabbit.com/ Also in some breeds a himi is called a pointed white instead. So you can have a himalayan, californian, or pointed white that are all the same color and different breeds for reasons ranging from major (cylinder rabbits) to minor (rollback instead of flyback fur). All color genes are compatible in all rabbits. Other breeds that allow a lot more colors or mutts can have the same color as a breed known for it's color. You just start to get weird variations that don't show well in their color group or are not recognized for show in that breed when crossing some genes. There's also the Argent rabbits that are separated into breeds by color with all other attributes being the same. A black with silver is champagne, a red with silver is creme (the only 2 recognized in the US), a chocolate with silver is Argent brun, a blue with silver is an argent bleu, and a chestnut with silver is rarely recognized anywhere but called a St. Hubert. In all other aspects they are pretty identical but not purebred unless they only have that color in their background since another color is considered a different breed. Even though the silver colors are somewhat unique I've seen even champagne colored Netherland Dwarf. They are rare and not attempting to be shown yet as far as I know. I imagine it was hard to get the black based with silvering gene in a ND sized and typed rabbit considering most silvered breeds are large meat rabbits. It can be confusing to new people or those that have trouble understanding color genetics.

Back