Kit weights

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintedquarters

Reaction score
I am curious, does anyone else keep records of kit weights? We started weighing at 10 days. We intend to continue to weigh weekly. Part to keep good records, part as a 4-H project. Wondering what are good weights for kits as they grow? Does anyone else do this & what is your opinion on good weights pre weaning? Thanks.

Welcome to RT. So much to learn here--people who've been raising rabbits for a long time and willing to answer questions from us beginners.
You'll find various threads about kit weights at various ages. It was easy for me to feel discouraged looking at them at first, feeling that our kits didn't measure up. Others posted weights that were lower than ours and I came to see that it's not a competition and that there are many factors. We don't feed pellets so have to expect slower growout. This year we weighed our kits at weeks 1,3,5, 8, and 12. We remove the doe from the kits at 5 weeks, so that weighing helps us assess the milk production of our does. Most of our rabbits go to freezer camp at about 13 weeks.

Since I breed just for meat I dont weigh them till 8 to 10 weeks. And its just for my family. But there always a but, I do plan to up scale as I go. So weighing and keeping records is a good way to see your progress. :)

Latest posts

Back