Rooster Anecdote

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyM

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
On my other post I mentioned one of my roosters, Rudy, who attacks me. Rudy was supposed to be a hen (aren't all roosters?), so after realizing that my would-be hen crows, and after losing 4 others for various reasons, I purchased 6 more chicks. Well, 2 of these pullets turned out to be roosters also. These 2, one black and one white, I call the brothers as they get along so well. Even though I have 3 roosters, they get along as 2 would. The brothers do not seem to have a mean streak at all. They leave Rudy alone for the most part when they are let out to free range.

The funny part is that when Rudy attacks me, Midnight attacks Rudy and chases him from me. A few times the brothers both chased Rudy away from me. I was thinking it sure seemed like they were protecting me but wasn't so sure. However, last evening Rudy was attacking me all the way down to the garden, which is basically his turf. Midnight came flying low over the ground to attack Rudy and chase him away from me! Now I know that he is protecting me!

That's cool, Judy! And you're lucky!

Our first rooster, a Speckled Sussex we named Napoleon was super, but since then every rooster I've had was mean. Not to the hens, or they wouldn't have lasted long, but prone to attacking me. They didn't bother my partner, Brian or my son, MidnightCoder . . . just me.

The worst was a Welsummer roo who was not only evil but also sneaky. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I called him Lucifer and gave him a walk-on role in my novel. He'd be scratching around pretending not to notice me and soon as I turned my back he'd attack from behind, spurs first. Man, it hurt! And worse, it was enough to almost knock me off balance. But . . . he was gorgeous.

One day, a man stopped at Brian's yard sale and caught sight of Lucifer. I happened to be outside at the time and he asked me what breed the rooster was. His tone was admiring so, quick as a flash, I said: "He's a Welsummer. Do you want him?" As it happened he had two Welsummer hens but no roo . . . so, yes, he wanted him very much. Last I heard, Lucifer was chasing and attacking this fellow's wife. I warned him, I really did. :lol:

Very cool! I have been amazed at the personality you can see in some chickens if you pay close enough attention.

My first roo was Peter - the only named chicken we ever had. I wanted a rooster to help protect the flock and to start hatching our own eggs. He decided my not-quite-18 month old was a great target, especially if/when she cried. It was awful. I pretty much had it in my head "just one more time and that's it" - it just happened to be on a weekend with DH home and everyone outside. I was PG at the time and she had tripped and fell and before she got up I saw him make a bee line for her. I yelled to hubby who just so happened to have a hammer in his hand. Whack! To the coop he ran, so I shut the door - just me and him (DH is not a fan of chickens, but he's getting better... at this point he was very much hands off with them). He flew up, I grabbed him by his feet and got him tucked under my arm upside down. Looked at DH and said "now what?" - we had never butchered or culled anything at that point. It was a comedy of errors, including children running around screaming (My Peter! My Peter!), a chicken flailing, the whole 9 yards. We finally did the deed and DH hung him up in a tree out back. He took the kids fishing, I watched a YouTube video, and 45 minutes later (ummm... yeah... did I mention I had never done anything like this before??) we had a very scrawny chicken (rigor had set in by the time I got done making it that much harder). Unbeknownst to YDD, she got the best revenge with 4 bowls of "Peter soup" :lol: Even the other two ate some... I wasn't sure if they would as horrible of a scene as it was for them... It was awful.

Latest posts

Back