Flemish Giant not getting very big

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger

Reaction score
I have a Flemish Giant doe that I bought from a breeder and at 7 months old her weight seems to be leveling off at 11 lbs. She feeds on pellets, timothy hay and some carrots. I would like to show her but I understand that a senior doe needs to weigh 14 lbs. Is there any hope that she will ever get that big or should I just enter her as a New Zealand doe and hope they cant tell the difference lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 1,442
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 1,442
Flemish are known to be slower growing but at 7 months old I doubt she'll ever gain the 5 pounds needed to reach senior weight unless she's in late stages of pregnancy ;)

Unfortunately she wouldn't pass as a NZRed either - her body shape is wrong, her colour is too faded, her belly is white and of course those HUGE ears

Bred to a good buck she might produce kits that reach the standard but there is no guarantee

She's not even a senior yet, give her some time to grow. Until she's 8 months she can still show as intermediate, 11 lbs is within the weigth range for intermediate. She's definitely not a NZ though. Even if she does get DQed for weight as a Flemish, the judge will still give you comments as a flemish, so you should definitely enter her as a Flemish.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. She is mainly a pet rabbit but I might want to show her some time just for the fun of it. She is well behaved and not a frayed of anything . The cats run away from her if she gets too close.

Roger":1k0wwvi7 said:
The cats run away from her if she gets too close.
I understand. I have a tomcat that sleeps in the shop with mine in the winter...until one gets out then he can't get away fast enough. :roll: Kind if funny watching a cat try to run 3 different directions at once. :lol:

Latest posts

Back