Register

Processing and contamination

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Processing and contamination

Post Number:#1  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:58 pm


I am about to process my first three rabbits. I have watched grumpy's video atleast a dozen times. My previous processing has either been fish or squirrels.

My question is what do I do if I was to expose the flesh by nicking the bowels or bladder? Just rinse it or is more required? Can I finish processing or do I need to stop immediately and do something?

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Joined: May 11, 2015
Location: NC
United States of America Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 198 in 185 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#2  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:11 pm


If you have done squirrels, this should be a piece of cake! IMO, they are very very similar, yet much easier! I was amazed at the similarities when I first did it.

As for knicking of things... it happens occasionally. I have my set up so that I have a hose handy for spraying things down so I do a quick rinse if something gets on the meat... The bladder seems to pose the biggest issue for me. I have lost my pinch/grip on it a time or two causing it to spill out. Blech. If I actually planned ahead enough to pull their food and water before processing it probably wouldn't be that bad, but usually their bladders and stomachs are FULL. I did try massaging that area to help empty the urine prior to skinning and it helped on a few of them.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

The following user would like to thank FourRingCircus for this post
michaels4gardens, TheChad

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#3  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:41 pm


heritage wrote:If you have done squirrels, this should be a piece of cake! IMO, they are very very similar, yet much easier! I was amazed at the similarities when I first did it.

As for knicking of things... it happens occasionally. I have my set up so that I have a hose handy for spraying things down so I do a quick rinse if something gets on the meat... The bladder seems to pose the biggest issue for me. I have lost my pinch/grip on it a time or two causing it to spill out. Blech. If I actually planned ahead enough to pull their food and water before processing it probably wouldn't be that bad, but usually their bladders and stomachs are FULL. I did try massaging that area to help empty the urine prior to skinning and it helped on a few of them.


So if I am going to process one morning, should I pull the food and water before I go to bed the night before?

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 6359
Joined: October 6, 2013
Location: northwest PA
United States of America
Thanks: 1890
Thanked: 1765 in 1425 posts
BunnyBucks: 32,763.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Zass » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:34 pm


So if I am going to process one morning, should I pull the food and water before I go to bed the night before?


You can if you wish.

I personally do not pull feed for rabbits though.
It just seems like life interferes with my processing dates too much.

It'd be dangerous if I fasted them and then put off processing for a week or so, since fasting rabbits can lead to gi slowdown, which in turn can trigger stasis, or bacterial overgrowth.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
TheChad

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2002
Joined: January 25, 2012
Location: plattsburg, missouri
Thanks: 72
Thanked: 634 in 390 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,950.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#5  Unread postby grumpy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:10 am


Chad,
Accidents happen when processing any animal...
It happens to me...still...but I try to minimize contamination
as much as possible and wash the affected area asap with clear
running water. Just take your time... and stay focused. You'll
do fine.
I've added on more step in my processing operation in that I
use a spray bottle of pure water to douse the hair between the
legs for the initial cut. It helps holding excessive stray hairs'.
Best of Luck to you.
Grumpy.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
Danibee, TheChad

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Posts: 608
Joined: January 8, 2012
Location: md
Thanks: 27
Thanked: 58 in 54 posts
BunnyBucks: 3,491.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#6  Unread postby a7736100 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:13 pm


Before I cut open the belly I express the pee out. Laying the rabbit on its back with stomach up, cutting from the head toward the tail, I cut with the cutting edge up so the skin is like a tent, I'm less likely to hit the innards.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2002
Joined: January 25, 2012
Location: plattsburg, missouri
Thanks: 72
Thanked: 634 in 390 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,950.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#7  Unread postby grumpy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:21 pm


Lying the carcass upon ''anything'' risks contamination.. expressing urine is contamination
unto itself unless it completely clears the exposed meat of the animal.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 804
Joined: February 15, 2014
Location: Austria
Austria
Thanks: 126
Thanked: 296 in 222 posts
BunnyBucks: 4,439.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Preitler » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:19 pm


Well. Fresh urin is steril, no bacterial contamination there, can be rinsed off, no problem.

Also, with rabbits being herbivores, I don't think many problems can arise anyway when proper rinsing and cooling is provided after butchering, imho it takes quite a lot of things to actually spoil rabbit meat.

Putting the rabbit on cutting boards, or whatever, would imho the bigger risk, but anyway, with proper cooling, rinsing and cooking not a real big problem.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2002
Joined: January 25, 2012
Location: plattsburg, missouri
Thanks: 72
Thanked: 634 in 390 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,950.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#9  Unread postby grumpy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:48 pm


Preitler wrote:Well. Fresh urin is steril, no bacterial contamination there, can be rinsed off, no problem.

Also, with rabbits being herbivores, I don't think many problems can arise anyway when proper rinsing and cooling is provided after butchering, imho it takes quite a lot of things to actually spoil rabbit meat.

Putting the rabbit on cutting boards, or whatever, would imho the bigger risk, but anyway, with proper cooling, rinsing and cooking not a real big problem.


Once the rabbit is hung, from that point onward till sealing it in a sterile plastic bag,
the meat never touches another surface.

While you may well be correct in the durability of rabbit meat, the Law states what
is acceptable and what is not. Unfortunately, my opinion isn't relevant, I do what is
called for by statute.

You'll get a good debate going on the sterility of urine with these folks. (Federal Inspectors) :x
Good luck. :)

Grumpy.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 7133
Joined: July 17, 2010
Location: Iowa
Thanks: 1
Thanked: 1076 in 953 posts
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#10  Unread postby akane » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:55 pm


It's not a huge deal with herbivores like rabbits. Being small they are processed, rinsed, and cooled quickly. Their intestines contain little truly dangerous bacteria and urine is sterile. Just store and cook it properly.

Luckily most of us don't have to care about USDA standards or 3/4ths of the homesteaders would be in trouble.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
TheChad

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2599
Joined: December 6, 2013
Location: Piney Flats ,Tn.
United States of America Male
Thanks: 1681
Thanked: 818 in 643 posts
BunnyBucks: 12,973.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#11  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:51 pm


TheChad wrote:
heritage wrote:If you have done squirrels, this should be a piece of cake! IMO, they are very very similar, yet much easier! I was amazed at the similarities when I first did it.

As for knicking of things... it happens occasionally. I have my set up so that I have a hose handy for spraying things down so I do a quick rinse if something gets on the meat... The bladder seems to pose the biggest issue for me. I have lost my pinch/grip on it a time or two causing it to spill out. Blech. If I actually planned ahead enough to pull their food and water before processing it probably wouldn't be that bad, but usually their bladders and stomachs are FULL. I did try massaging that area to help empty the urine prior to skinning and it helped on a few of them.


So if I am going to process one morning, should I pull the food and water before I go to bed the night before?


JMHO-- I like to pull the feed the night before processing--[a full stomach is needless trouble, and a waste of feed ]- i have automatic waterers, so-don't worry about that...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
TheChad

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#12  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 am


Thanks for all the tips. Everything went great and a big shout out to Grumpy's processing video. That was awesome and I walked through it step by step the first time.

I didn't nick any of the organs. I did pull the water and feed the night before and processed them early that morning. The bladders were almost empty so that was a good thing.

I let them soak for two days in Iced Salt water. The back was stiff when I got it out but when I went to move it, you could tell it was softening up. I put them in freezer after sealing them up. Lot of debate on whether the soaking is necessary. My thinking was better safe than sorry.

Now I just need to find the right recipe for them. I'm thinking crock pot mexican style pulled meat. Will see how that comes out. One of them is going to an older man from my church who has helped me a lot on getting started and what to do. Thanks again for the comments and help!!!

The following user would like to thank TheChad for this post
grumpy

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 1882
Joined: May 11, 2015
Location: NC
United States of America Female
Thanks: 45
Thanked: 198 in 185 posts
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#13  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:36 am


Crockpot might be more than it can take - my friend is completely turned off by (wild) rabbit after her husband did that and the bones disappeared in the meat :x . If it's an older one you have some more wiggle room b/c you need to cook it longer to tenderize it, but for the younger ones it won't take long. Or if you debone it you would be OK. I could be wrong though, others can chime in on their experiences...

Congrats on processing! It does get easier as you get used to it ;)
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

The following user would like to thank FourRingCircus for this post
TheChad

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 154
Joined: March 23, 2016
Location: Alabama
United States of America Male
Thanks: 60
Thanked: 21 in 20 posts
BunnyBucks: 805.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#14  Unread postby TheChad » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:52 pm


heritage wrote:Crockpot might be more than it can take - my friend is completely turned off by (wild) rabbit after her husband did that and the bones disappeared in the meat :x . If it's an older one you have some more wiggle room b/c you need to cook it longer to tenderize it, but for the younger ones it won't take long. Or if you debone it you would be OK. I could be wrong though, others can chime in on their experiences...

Congrats on processing! It does get easier as you get used to it ;)


Yes I would love for someone to chime in about that. Most of the recipes I saw said the crock pot was made for Rabbits.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
User avatar
Posts: 2599
Joined: December 6, 2013
Location: Piney Flats ,Tn.
United States of America Male
Thanks: 1681
Thanked: 818 in 643 posts
BunnyBucks: 12,973.00

Re: Processing and contamination

Post Number:#15  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:01 pm


Once you brine in saltwater you can bake, fry, crock pot, as you wish-- the only consideration is-- I like rabbit flavor-- some crock pot recipes cover the flavor almost completely...
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

The following user would like to thank michaels4gardens for this post
TheChad

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests