Can you ID this doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaskTrapper

Reaction score
I had a friend buy me a red New Zealand doe 12 weeks old at a small animal auction sale. When she dropped it off for me it said New Zealand red dark on the box,I was impressed at how meaty it was but I don't believe it's a NZR I think it looks like a cinnamon. Even if it is a cinnamon I will keep it and breed it to one of my Californian or New Zealand bucks. What do you guys think it is?IMG_0940.JPG

Cinnamons are a rare breed, and are usually a shade redder (though they vary a lot in color, depending on the line - some had been bred out to other things to try to breed in type). I *believe* (dont have my standard on me) that cinnamons have rollback fur while NZ have flyback... if this has the right fur type for a cinnamon and weight, you could probably even show it as a cinnamon, it looks close enough. It's probably just a tort - colored meat mutt though.

Yup, tortoiseshell coloured mixed breed

The genes responsible are "self" and "non-extension" and they can be produced when NZReds (have 2 non extension genes) are crossed to NZBlack (have 2 self genes)

They can also be produced when fawn Flemish (2 non extension) are bred to self based rabbits ie black, blue, chocolate

You can think of it as a self rather than agouti based red/fawn/orange and if you've already got a NZRed you should get 50% to 100% red kits (depending in whether your red carries self or not)

This is great info thank you. I will check to see if it has roll back or fly back fur after work. I don't have a red to breed to but I do have some NZW and a NZB to breed it to. What should I expect for colours if I breed it to one of my NZW?

Maybe some chestnuts, maybe some steels (very dark, with only a bit of tipping) - if your white carries non-extension (from having red in its lines) you might get some reds too, if your white carries self, you might get some blacks too, and if it carries both, you might get some more torts

You seem to know your stuff Sablesteel,thanks for your help. So I'm assuming I'll probably get some chestnuts and steels or blacks if I breed my black buck to her?shes really meaty and solid so I really hope she reaches a good size because she should make an awesome breeder for meat kits. I haven't used either of these two bucks yet so I have no idea what colours they can throw yet.Anxiuos to see.

Actually, I just checked and both NZ and cinnamon have flyback fur
NZ genetics can be a bit complicated because many NZ carry the steel gene.
Good luck with her

Latest posts

Back