Neutered cat is spraying?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So I adopted my cat from the Mitchell County Animal Shelter and before I could get him he was neutered. From my understanding he was appx. 2-3 months at the time and he was tiny! But now he's hitting about sexual maturity and he's trying to pee on stuff outside of his litterbox (Mostly on feedbags and he just tried to pee on something else. He never does it on the floor though) I'm not sure why he's doing it though! I keep his litterbox clean. He has a cover to his litterbox but, he was doing this worse before I put the cover. I know this isn't a cat site but I know there are other people out there that are crazy cat and bunny ladies ;). Anyone have any idea why my cat is peeing everywhere?! He is most definitely litterbox trained and was when I got him.

Edited title because I didn't want to start a whole new post.

The most common reason why cats will pee outside of the box is a UTI, and they are more common in males. I would get him to a vet and have him checked out. The antibiotics aren't terribly expensive usually. Unfortunately though, males that are neutered very young are incredibly susceptible to having chronic UTI that requires special diet and maintenance to keep them from constantly having infections or crystals. i understand why shelters especially want their cats neutered early - and being a shelter worker myself i definitely advocate spay/neuter, but i am not a fan of how early they want to do it these days. it's much healthier to let them get a bit older first. especially with dogs - large breeds can have growth issues and a larger risk of bone problems as they get older if they are altered before they stop growing. but i also know you can't trust people to be responsible with an intact dog for a year or more...it's one of those rock and hard place situations.

one of my previous cats was a male that wasn't neutered particularly early (about 4 or 5 months,) but he developed chronic UTI because he was neutered. while i ended up having to euthanize him because he started peeing on everything in the house even when he wasn't having a flare up and i never could break him of it. i think it just got in his head that it was okay and no matter what i did he refused to use the litter box. he was definitely a worse case scenario though - almost everyone i know with a chronic UTI cat has said that with the special diet they are pretty much maintenance-free.

He doesn't do it often though. My mom's cat had several UTI's and bladder crystals and several surgeries for it as well. He's peeing whole big puddles of pee.. That's why I haven't took him to the vet. I'm wondering if it's a behavioral issue or a learned habit, our Siamese cat is a b*tch to be nice about it and doesn't use the litterbox so she spends a lot of time outside. I thought it was a UTI or crystal at first but I've felt his bladder after peeing and he doesn't howl or cry in pain. I looked up the symptoms of a UTI just to be safe and he's not like that. Maybe I need to move his litterbox? It's kinda back in a corner

My 13 year old cat has chronic bladder problems. Even on a special diet he doesn't always go in the litterbox. :(
Thankfully, he has agreed to only pee on a towel placed by the bathtub, if he's really not feeling like using the box.
It's pretty easy to wash and replace that daily (or several times a day as needed), so I feel we have an effective compromise.

I suspect that grain in cat food has a LOT to do with UTI in cats. Even male goats (herbivores) can develop urinary problems if fed too much grain. It's almost madness to expect an obligate carnivore to be able to process the stuff without trouble.

I have a few cats and the oldest (10) is the only one who really needs a toilet- She pees and pooa in her regular places and even when I put a toilet there, she uses it in 3/4 of cases (we are very pleased by that:) ). And all of my cats, eben thouthey are neutered, are marking their teritory by peeing.

shazza":32c7rbq6 said:
while i ended up having to euthanize him because he started peeing on everything in the house even when he wasn't having a flare up and i never could break him of it.

I am very sorry, but.. why? why couldnt you foster it in a outside (with inside cuddling) home?

Nika":1yl4cg84 said:
I am very sorry, but.. why? why couldnt you foster it in a outside (with inside cuddling) home?
at the time the area where i was living was home to a very large colony of FeLV+ feral cats and i did not feel comfortable putting him out. I had tried to find him a new home but he was a bit like a small dog in that he was very attached to me specifically and was aggressive to everyone else, so nobody wanted him. He wasn't a hunter, so I couldn't market him as a barn cat. I would have loved to kept him as an outdoor cat, but I couldn't willingly send him to a horrible death due to leukemia :( I felt for everyone's sanity it was better to just humanely euthanize him. it was not a decision made lightly, and i was really upset about it for a long time, but i had tried for 5 years to help him, and nothing worked, and i was exhausted from constantly smelling every inch of furniture and carpet to find what he had peed on while i wasn't looking multiple times a day. and when we bought a new house, we really did not want him to destroy what we worked so hard for. he already ruined the carpet in one room (and two couches,) - it doesn't smell anymore after multiple shampooings but there's a big stain and it needs to be replaced.

Zass has a good point - I have read many things that suggest that grains in pet food is an aggregate for UTIs. i've heard lots of stories first-hand from people who had UTI problems then switched to a grain-free food and the problems stopped. what's strange to me is that the UTI meds from like science diet (which i don't trust anyway, too many recalls,) are FULL of grain. my vet gave me some to try with my problem cat but he wouldn't even eat it. but i was skeptical anyway, even outside of my dislike of the brand. i can't see how a food with corn as a main ingredient was supposed to be any better than the high quality grain-free he had been on.

he could also be mad because of where his box is, he needs it totally spotless or it's not clean enough, a variety of things. make sure the box is in a quiet place, but not necessarily hidden. some cats also don't like covered boxes, if you're using one maybe try taking the lid off. try to scoop it as much as possible for a while and see if it helps. sometimes they're just really picky haha.

I don't think it is at all immoral to humanely euthanize an animal with chronic health problems, or personality issues that make life stressful for them AND their owners.

Especially when you think about how many perfectly healthy cats are abandoned or euthanized yearly.

I honestly think that having issues that cause serious stress can reduce the quality of life for both parties, and from my view, it can be more ethical to let go of the compromised animal to free up resources for one who can enjoy life more thoroughly, as well as bringing joy, instead of stress to people.

Fostering out an animal with serious health or behavioral issues could be setting it up to be abused, passed around, or abandoned.

I know it isn't UTI or any illness.. It's a behavioural thing... I just want him to stop being a little terd lol. He's about 8 or 9 months right now. Very sweet baby he's like a cat-dog.
IMG_20160524_194209.jpg

Well there are 2 upstairs and then the one downstairs that only he uses. I took the top off of it.. He hasn't done it again recently although he did leave a huge diarrhea right outside it this morning, I think he was trying to get in and didn't make it. He's good about going in his box but it seems like he wants a box to pee and a box to poo, only issue is that the only litterbox not being used is a low one and he poops over the edge of the box. ( I love my cat even when he's a little jerk) <br /><br /> __________ October 7th, 2016, 9:02 am __________ <br /><br /> So according to almost everyone in the house but me, my cat is spraying in the back of the hallway. I really don't know why he would do this because he really has no reason other than to maybe mark his territory? (There is another neutered cat in the house but he only comes in to eat and hang for a bit and spends majority of his time outside. There also is a possibility it is this cat; If you ask me it is this cat because he's the only one who hit sexual maturity before losing his nuts) My cat was neutered at about 2 or 3 months of age (He was tiny when I got him) He's been here for going on 8 months now, so I don't know why NOW my cat would be spraying..

Latest posts

Back