Register

Not returning

A place to vent about what's bugging you. Please keep it civil.
BunnyBucks: 65.00

Not returning

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Coon Creek Rabbitry » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:26 pm

Not to knock on this site but I will be leaving this site after 4 days. I'm not to pleased because basically every post I made the same person would reply and the people here just act like they know absolutely everything. It's not a bad site just personally I won't be returning from my experience.

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 55,633.00

Re: Not returning

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:40 pm

Sorry you feel that way, Coon Creek. I reviewed your posts and it seems to me that you are unhappy with the honest opinions given to you about the colour of your rabbit and whether he would be faulted at a show. If you can't handle polite disagreement, then I agree: RabbitTalk is not for you.

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
Easy Ears, Homer, michaels4gardens, TheChad

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,725.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Zass » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:11 pm

I also thought the animal in question might have been a steel, based only on the written description. I just didn't speak up because I couldn't be sure from that alone.
I finally saw the pics, and I agree they are hard to see the color in. The light reflected on his coat makes hairs look a lot lighter.

I'm sorry that it caused a misunderstanding.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,697.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Prisma » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:19 pm

This place is a lot nice than FB...but to each their own.

I looked at the pics...heck I thought he was a sable from the pictures. Does not look like solid black with that lighting. All solids are shown as one class, brokens as another though with lops. Just out of curiosity, if still around, did you specifically ask if he was black and they said yes or just assume because he showed without dq?

No one is trying to be rude or hurtful, just giving opinion of based on what provided and asking questions. If you're around shows much, unfortunately you're going to find out RT is a lot nicer than some show people with their opinion and all, but again to each their own.
Rabbitry is changing in 2016.

Glenville, West Virginia

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,350.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby akane » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:47 pm

Yeah those pics definitely don't look black. They look more like something pointed such as a sable but so dark I would call it a seal and the white looks more like silvering than steel to me. Lighting can really screw things up. I was trying to get a good pic of a silvered tort and I've got a pic where she looks near grey and you can hardly tell she's a tort and a pic where she is a beautiful tort with light silvering. One is in sunlight and one is in the bottom of a horse stall in the stable.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,891.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Galadriel » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:54 pm

Coon Creek Rabbitry wrote:I'm not to pleased because basically every post I made the same person would reply and the people here just act like they know absolutely everything.

Well, it was a coloring question, and if you want it answered to the best degree, then Dood is the one to ask. I saw her answer you, and she wasn't acting like a know-it-all, she was honestly trying to answer your question. She even congratulated you on your wins. SableSteel was also very helpful, and I don't know why you are bothered by her recurring posts. It tells me that she really wanted to make sure you got good help, which in my opinion, you did. Besides, in a normal conversation, the same person usually replies.

If you don't like honest opinions and people who help until the problem is solved, then I agree with Miss Maggie. RT is not for you. Sorry to see you go.

(By the way, we have super-steels in a litter right now, and they look like solid blacks.)
Aspiring author of the Memory Wars series. In progress: Book 1 -- Escape.

http://mirrorofgaladriel.wordpress.com/ :book: :reading1: :reading2:

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,650.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby macksmom98 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:18 am

There are only a few people on here who are great with coloring, and if that is the question then i am not surprised those were the people posting. The best at coloring and genetics is Dood, and Zaas is close behind with great info as well as a few others. I feel like its so nice I can come on here and get their expertise. I love seeing familiar members posts, because I feel like I actually get to know them. And if someone cant add much that is helpful, then it would be normal that they would not post or would be inexperienced and not giving good advice if they did post something. Its never great to hear someone isnt comfortable here, but if you aren't interested in others opinions or with them answering your questions honestly, the best they can when only judging off a picture, then I think you made a good choice in leaving.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,842.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby heritage » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:48 pm

I agree - I read the thread, but am just dipping my toes in colors and genetics (thanks to the members of this site) and am not at all qualified to give my opinion :oops: :lol: (and I know almost nothing about showing, especially your particular breed). There is a wide variety of folk on here - just like any other group of people... I have had some posts with blunt honesty that may not be what I want to hear, but it is what it is. I know there is one bit of advice I was given about a group of rabbits I was purchasing that I brushed off... lo and behold, he knew was he was talking about (no surprise there) and I had to cull that rabbit shortly after bringing her home! (this based off of one single pic and he nailed it) Being fairly new to rabbits I didn't quite understand why what he was seeing a big issue. Live and learn.

The ones who are most qualified to answer on colors and genetics are the ones that did. It sounds like you have a difference of opinions, but that's OK. It's what makes the world go 'round, right? I hate you're choosing to leave based on that one "conversation" but that's totally up to you... I will agree that there aren't many other places on the web that are like here, *especially* on such a touchy subject as raising rabbits (on here you have a broad spectrum of people for meat, pets, show, etc. and 99% of the time we all get along just fine ;) ) it sounds like you just have a bad first impression. Best wishes!
Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 7, 5, & 3!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey - with not quite 20 chickens of various breeds and 7 rabbits - and maybe a "few" popples every now and then... plus some feeble attempts at gardening. Officially registered as Four Ring Rabbitry!

Pampered Chef anyone? It's for a good cause! https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/rmcoley

BunnyBucks: 75.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Capri » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:34 pm

All I know about colouring is that a lot depends on a person's individual sight and what differences are there between an online pic and the sight of something in real life, and all of that can be vastly different. But I am discontented with a different site where I posted about my lovely bunny and how she just charms everyone - and the only reply I got so far was some animal social justice warrior, the same type that trolls Youtube videos and criticizes everything. "You should definitely get a bigger cage." Uh, no. I got the largest available that I could actually manage most of the maintenance of on my own. She cannot run free on our back deck! Duh! And she is getting an exercise pen. That wasn't even the issue or I would have posted a query about "What size cage should I get?" But seriously, this is the biggest problem with animal discussions online, no matter where you go. There's always somebody just waiting to tell you how they think you're doing wrong by your animal(s). They are absolutely merciless about it especially on Youtube.

The following user would like to thank Capri for this post
Miss M

Site Supporter
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,131.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Preitler » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:50 pm

*Sigh*, don't be too frustrated, it's just too easy for everyone to spill easy adopted convenient opinions through the net without knowing too much about the actual situation. It's actually not about animal discussion - I was moderator on a remote control plane board for years - exactly the same people, just with other hobbies.

Just think about it, shortly, and be more confident in your own opinion.

This thread is just a big question mark for me, apart from the obvious problem of digital photos vs. actually seeing something, there is more behind that, this feeling that different opinion is a personal critic, but well, what do I know?.
Last edited by Preitler on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
A good day ain't got no rain, a bad day is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been...

BunnyBucks: 34,350.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby akane » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:54 pm

Sadly many forums rather than share information found from a variety of sources fall into repeating the info of one person or a few people with similar views because the take the word of the longer term members as the only correct answer. It gets repeated and repeated and repeated until it becomes the only source of information for that group. If it's one person ignore them. If it's a group you don't get along with it's best to find another forum. I find on FB groups this happens less because you have a wider variety of people showing up in a group and there aren't established, saved threads on each topic for people to repeat off of. It's not immune though. I just unfollowed all similar groups on a topic because they all have a mentality I can't agree with and I'm only going to get myself kicked out when I might need them for an actual question later.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,978.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby the reluctant farmer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:39 pm

Coon Creek, bless your heart...

The following user would like to thank the reluctant farmer for this post
EnglishSpot, michaels4gardens, SuburbanHomesteader, TheChad

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Male
BunnyBucks: 1,023.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby SoDak Thriver » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:59 am

the reluctant farmer wrote:Coon Creek, bless your heart...

I was waiting for someone from the Deep South to say it. :)
Homeschooling dad of 4 (aged 13, 9, 7, 2), accountant, and rabbit noob apprentice.

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,978.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby the reluctant farmer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:02 pm

SoDak Thriver wrote:
the reluctant farmer wrote:Coon Creek, bless your heart...

I was waiting for someone from the Deep South to say it. :)

:D When polite conversation or reason fails, a blessing of the heart is called for. :lol:

The following user would like to thank the reluctant farmer for this post
michaels4gardens