Register

Breeding colors together help!

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 40.00

Breeding colors together help!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby livlovebunnies » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:31 am

Im new to breeding mini lops and i want to breed some of my does. I have 2 frosted pearl does and was wondering what color buck should i use? I want to show them only for 4h though. So is theres certain colors that shouldn't be bred together?
Can I use a Broken Chestnut buck on my frosted pearls? I can't find any frosted pearl bucks what other color can I use! Please help! :troll: :troll:

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,206.00

Re: Breeding colors together help!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:34 pm

You can use a broken chestnut. Mini lops aren't super strict on color, and they accept almost anything.
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies

thesodi.com - the chicken game

The following user would like to thank SableSteel for this post
livlovebunnies

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 40.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby livlovebunnies » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 pm

Thank you! Do you think babies would be 4h showable? And what about new zealands what colors can be bred together? I have a broken black, white with black ears and nose and a red new zealand any suggestions on what color buck to use?

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,206.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SableSteel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:13 pm

If the parents were show quality, theres a good chance the babies may be.

NZ are bit harsher with their colors. You should only breed the broken black to a solid black, and you should only breed the red to a red or broken red. additionally, whites should only be bred to whites. If you mix colors, you could get unshowable varieties like chestnut and steel.
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies

thesodi.com - the chicken game