Register

Question for "pet rabbit" owners

A forum to help find new homes for rabbits whose owners can no longer provide care for them. Everyone can read, but you must have 20 posts to participate in this forum.
Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 375.00

Question for "pet rabbit" owners

Post Number:#1  Unread postby JudyM » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:25 pm

I DO NOT want to upset "pet rabbit" parents, but I am a "meat rabbit" Mom.

I LOVE my bunnies! I can't stand when it is time to process them but the whole reason I started with rabbits was for the purpose of being more self-sufficient so I bury my feelings and do the duty at hand.

Now for my question. There is a Rabbit Rescue in my town which, according to their website, has about 200 rescues available at any given time. I so want to have one or two as a pet! But I am afraid to fill out the questionnaire. I am afraid they will start stalking me and will try to free my outside / caged meat rabbits. I'd love to just stop by and visit them but their address is not posted on the website. Any ideas or suggestions? Am I over-thinking this?

I'm not even sure that my DH will agree to a pet bun. He is convinced that they stink and there is nothing humanly possible to change that. He also says that the fumes from the urine corrode the copper in the air conditioning...so it will certainly be difficult to change his mind!

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,612.00

Re: Question for "pet rabbit" owners

Post Number:#2  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:42 pm

you can buy sweet PDZ to absorb the ammonia from the urine
Sable Steel
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nationally Competitive Himalayans | Britannia Petites | Show Quality Pigeons | ARBA Registrar

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,490.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby akane » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:20 pm

If the place doesn't require inspections don't tell them you have rabbits.

Corroding copper is a new one. They do pee 4' up the wall behind their cage. Even the dwarf. That's with plastic bottom cages that had about 6" edges. I found them too dirty with too much pee everywhere to keep indoors. Since I can't have them outside because someone steals them or complains about them in wire cages even if they have a shelter area I gave up and got meat cavy (guinea pigs) instead. So no they do not corrode things that require air transfer of their urine. They probably won't corrode anything that gets direct urine except galvanized steel that's been chipped or scratched. Yes, they do get pee everywhere around their cage and I've had to paint every room I've kept rabbits in after scrubbing the walls and floor when moving. Also, pet bred rabbits often are not as responsibly done and more prone to respiratory infections that could infect the rest of your herd. I would go to a show and pick up a nice dutch or whatever you want from a breeder because I wouldn't find the rescues worth the risk.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

The following user would like to thank akane for this post
JudyM

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,028.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:43 pm

I wouldn't go near them! The one or two rabbits you might adopt will not really do much to solve their problem of too many rabbits and you could be putting yourself at risk.

Why not just wait and the next time you get a kit among your meat buns that is so adorable that you just can't bear to process it , let that one become your house bunny?

Can't help you with the hubby problem . . . but good luck! :good-luck:

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
JudyM

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,377.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Dood » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:33 pm

I'm with MaggieJ don't risk your current rabbits health or safety

With that many rabbits respiratory disease is likely rampant but suppressed with frequent antibiotic use - very few pet people will cull for health issues

My local rabbit rescue has spread E. cuniculi throughout much of my area by adopting out healthy looking but asymptomatic carriers :angry:

The following user would like to thank Dood for this post
JudyM

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 2,586.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby SuburbanHomesteader » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:54 pm

I'd stay as far away from that "rescue" group as I could.

Couldn't tell where you're located so not sure how "radical" the ARA groups are in your area. (Please update your location in your profile as it makes it easier to help with questions. Many answers are location dependent.)

It seems to me that if your local "rescue" org has hundreds of rabbits at any given time, a whole lot of people are deciding "pet" rabbits aren't for them, and/or this group confiscates rabbitries.

As Dood said, you're likely to bring parasites and disease into your home and - as Maggie says - invite unwanted attention and visitors.

Best of luck to you.

The following user would like to thank SuburbanHomesteader for this post
JudyM

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 4,717.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Prisma » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:33 am

I'd stay far far far away from any rescue with "200 or more" at any given time. Numbers are inflated often (if you really dig and ask for real numbers like some on the watch dog groups are doing now who really want to know how many etc).

Why not keep one of your favorite babies for a pet? You get to watch'm grow and handle early on plus not risk the health or safety of your home.
Rabbitry is changing in 2016.

Glenville, West Virginia

The following user would like to thank Prisma for this post
JudyM

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,514.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 am

I have meat rabbits and pet rabbits, but I sure would never go to a rescue! One time I posted on a disabled rabbits forum and someone asked what I did with rabbits and I said I breed and I got flipped out on about if he's just a meat rabbit why was I trying to save him if I was going to kill him. Obviously these people know nothing about processing or the age at which it's done. I seem to be keeping a doe out of every litter. They just keep coming up to me and being so cute and sweet. The latest two I'm keeping are Fluffernut and Blu, Fluffer is a Pure Lionhead buck and he's starting to get poofy so I need to check how old he is an post a pic cause I'm curious as to whether he is DM or SM. Blu is a Blue SF doe, and she is so friendly, I swear I didn't play with them when they were little. (I didn't want to get attached to any in this litter.
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

The following user would like to thank ButtonsPalace for this post
JudyM

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,943.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Zass » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:49 pm

Over 200 rabbits sounds more like a hoarding situation than a rescue. I'd stay far away.

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
JudyM

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 375.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby JudyM » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Wow, very good points! You all confirmed my fears and brought in new ones! So I will keep one of my VERY cute babies in a cage with a "yard" outside!

__________ Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:01 pm __________

(Please update your location in your profile as it makes it easier to help with questions. Many answers are location dependent.)

Done!

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 1,431.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:47 pm

You've gotten the same advice, but I too would stay away from "rescuing" a bunny.
We have both hutch rabbits and a house bunny. The house bunny came from a reputable show breeder and was bought as a pet without a pedigree. He's a dwarf and fits in the house well, and his breeder is still always there to help if need be, and understands my "other" bunnies.
Rescues, some more than others, seem to have gotten very elitist, and more about being "important" versus actually trying to find homes for their charges.
~~Six Gun French Angoras~~

http://www.instagram.com/sixgunangoras

The following user would like to thank SixGun for this post
JudyM