Dealing with death.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olafthebunny

Reaction score
Hey! Hows everybunny?!

Recently our rabbit ( Our very first pet rabbit) died. His name was Gandalf the Grey, and of course, he was grey. Gandalf was a dwarf rabbit in my sisters breeding program Little Fluffy Bunnies. LFB's dog, Winter, got him out of his cage. We fixed the cage so now the dog cant get in the other cages.
We miss him very much.

I have experienced many pets death, and I'm sure lots of you guys here on RT have. I used to have hamsters when I was younger and they died as well. I have had 2 hamsters, 3 fish ( That i just flushed down the toilet.... :oops: :D lol) and 4 rabbits die.
A while ago I was watching a Cookiehamster2086 video on Youtube. The girl Lauren on the video said that when she is coping with her pets death she either gets a new one that day or the next day. I was shocked! Thats not how I do it. I think of getting another pet but dont get another one that day. But then I thought ' People cope with their pets differently. Thats just how this girl copes with hers'. After that I calmed down a bit.
When I am coping with my pets death I think back to the good old days ( Starting to sound like Twenty One Pilots now....) and the great times we had. I also tell my friends. I'll draw pics of them and scroll for pics of them on my phone.
How do you cope with your pets death?

When our beloved pet dies we get sad, right? But that just shows us how much we really love that pet. I didnt spend as much time with Gandalf when I got Olaf. Then he died. I felt bad that i stopped spending lots of time with him.

Sorry for this long post. Just felt like saying what was on my mind. I hope that this helped anyone who is coping with their pets death. But if no one is......i guess.....I dont know.

Bye for now!

Olafthebunny & Olaf <3

Sorry to hear about your loss, its the unfortunate part of pet ownership. Loving is hard sometimes, but it does make you a better pet owner. Do not feel guilty, but rather think about the good life you gave him. I hope you do get some comfort and are able to hold your other pets just a little tighter. That is what usually helps me grieve (although you are right-everyone is different).......

I'm sorry LFB and you lost a precious companion. They sure do make themselves a place in our hearts, don't they?

I've lost 2 parakeets, a fancy rat, and a number of cats over the many years of pet ownership, and each had their owns quirks and stories I remember them by. For myself the process is fairly simple. When we experience a pet loss I tend to be pretty torn up over it for a day or two, but I focus on the happy things (whether it's another hobby to take my mind off the loss, or giving extra attention to another pet). By now, I have experienced enough life and seen enough deaths that I appreciate our pets when we have them and say goodbye when they are taken from us. I know it's different for everyone, but I can respect others' ways of dealing with death. My husband and I have actually discussed our ability to cope in depth because we really want to get a great dane, but we know that as a large dog breed they may not live as long as some other breeds. The way I put it was, "sure, we may only have the dog for 8 years, but they'll be the best 8 years we can give to that puppy".

I think it's sweet of you to write about Gandalf so we can all appreciate him with you in memory. I'm sure he was well taken care of, even if you didn't interact with him as much as you wanted, and he was probably very happy to be a part of your family.

Here's to Gandalf the Grey, beloved house bun of Olafthebunny and LittleFluffyBunnies
:campfire:

@ Nymphadora:

Thanks! I really liked what you said. It made me feel better.
I still sometimes say to myself " I'm gonna go hold Gandalf!" But then i remember. Now i have gotten used to not having him around.

Thanks everyone!:)

I still think of my baby Thumper the same way, although a bit less now. I miss him. He was such a sweet little grump. :)

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard. I had a friends dogs break into my cages and kill a doe of mine. Moondust.

olafthebunny":p503l8kz said:
How do you cope with your pets death?

When a bunny death occurs, I take them down to the "Grave yard" (a small patch of earth reserved for the many birdies that have hit our windows over the years and our bunnies) I wrap the young ones in leaves from my maple tree and burry them (sometimes with a flower if we have some growing) and select a small, round and flat river rock that I write their name on and a small encouraging thought in sharpie, then I put tape over it so it will last and place the rock as a headstone over where they were buried. Then I like to write something about them so they will be remembered. I have a page on my website devoted to those in bunny heaven: http://easyearsrabbitry.jimdo.com/moondust-memories/ You are welcome to add Gandalf to the page as well! I have a comment section at the bottom where anyone can write the story/memories of their beloved bunny who has passed.

Back