Breeding time?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doulos668

Reaction score
I know there are many threads on this but I am trying to find out with my specific breed/cross.

I picked up some NZ/Californians. They are only 9 weeks old, but I want to be ready when the time comes.
I have seen some threads say that larger breeds should not be bred until 9 months...but I know many that do not wait that long.

Any tips?

Thank you!

I breed mine with a combination of weight and how they act.

baby and young rabbits have a certain behaviour.. mature rabbits act different.
So when mine change from junior to adult in their behaviour I breed them AND I look to have them at 75% of their adult weight.

For me that is generally 4-5 months REGARDLESS of breed. some will go a bit longer. Had one go shorter.

I agree with Ladysown. With my NZ, that time ends up being when the buns are around 5 1/2 months.

I was told 8lbs or 6months.... for a pure NZ doe I got.
Not sure that helps, but size is (I think) more important than age.... If the doe isn't 8lbs+ at 6 months ..... I wait...

My bunnies are meat mutts and mature out at 10-12lbs
mix of NZ, Am Chins etc. (a few other breeds I am sure are in there too.. :lol: )

Hope that helps.

My NZ were between four and five months when I first breed them. One took the other didn't.

Both were at a good weight as well. Good luck.

If they don't take the first time, don't worry. It happens a lot like that.

Latest posts

Back