Newbie Tanning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bigfoot_158":2cmv6igd said:
No one mentions neutralizing Alum tawed hides. Does this need to be done? As this will be my first method tried. And what is the easiest and best way to make it moisture resistant?

You wouldn't want to neutralize alum tawed hides, unless you were going to tan them afterwards.
For tawing, the alum(acid) has to remain in the leather to effectively preserve it.

The easiest way to create moisture resistance would probably be to buy a commercial spray that is designed for suede.

https://www.google.com/search?q=moister ... r&tbm=shop
They are fairly inexpensive, readily available, and easy to apply. The natural version involves smoking the leather.

__________ Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:48 pm __________

SarniaTricia":2cmv6igd said:
As a newbie to curing my own pelts.... I let my pelts dry fully before I "broke" them...
Do I rehydrate with tap water and dry again, breaking as I dry?
thanks

It depends on the method you used to tan them. Some methods, especially more natural ones like brains, might create a higher chance of slippage when the pelt is re-hydrated.

So long as the pelts have been thoroughly preserved with an alum taw, or syn tan, it should be fine to rehydrate and rebreak.
I'd suggest going ahead and giving it a try with your least valuable pelt first.

Back