First-time mother

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foresthomemama

Reaction score
I just lost a litter of kits, but I kinda expected it. The mother was a first-time mama from my first litter. Her mother, my primary doe, had 11 kits her first litter and lost only one runt. This doe had a litter of 6, I think, through the night. She pulled hair and yesterday had made a nest in the nest box. In the morning I came out and found a bit more blood than my primary doe usually has. I don't know if she made an attempt to clean up or not. There was only 1 surviving kit in the bunch. I found 3 more dead kits, a head, and a kit with the legs chewed off. They were not cleaned at all. They were all pretty small. That's why I don't know the total of the litter, because she could have eaten some.

I brought the surviving kit, which was cold and barely alive and the 3 that were intact and tried to warm them up but they were too far gone and the little guy died.

I have heard many people say that a doe's first litter is always bad, I just had a lot of luck with my first doe as she had a very successful, large litter. She was very young as it was a mistake litter with her brother, who I was told was a buck. (I am very good at telling the sex now :x ).

I'm going to breed her back to one of my bucks soon and try again.

On another note, my third doe is expected to kindle within the next week, and my primary doe should follow within a week after that. Fingers crossed.

How long do you usually wait to rebreed? BTW, I checked her vent and all looks good.

Most receptive right after loss. If body condition and state of doe allows, I immediately rebreed. Otherwise, I check condition and see how she's doing. If not so great, maybe a week or two wait. If takes more than a month and I'm desperate for a replacement I'll try to breed again, if there was a reason for her being so off may cut some more slack but I don't want to breed hard breeders...don't recoup in a month and I don't need a replacement from a whole lot she's moved out.

Latest posts

Back