doe running in circles while sqwaking ....sign of pregnancy?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoisguy

Reaction score
I have tried multiple attempts in breeding this doe. However, today, I put her in with the buck. She hopped around but began sqwaking and grunting. Was she in the mood and playing hard to get or could she already be pregnant?

thoughts? Thanks.

I am curious about this too, I bred a doe recently and once she saw the buck she whimpered and ran around in circles while he chased her. She did lift up her butt when he caught her though, so she must not have been too opposed to the idea.

My best guess is that she wasn't completely in the mood?

running in circles is a rabbit's idea of a good date, but if she's growling and grunting that usually means she's not into it. could mean she's pregnant, could mean she just doesn't want to breed. checking her vent is a good way to judge a doe's readiness - if it's pale then she probably will not be receptive, but a red or purple vent means she's ready. if you've seen the buck mount her and fall off and now she's acting aggressive toward him, i would mark the date bred on my calendar and give her a box on day 28 ;)

if you are trying to breed a doe and she doesn't want to be bred there are several things you could consider

1. she's not old enough to breed.
2. you have REALLY bad timing all the time (not likely, but still possible)
3. she's learned that grunting and squeaking gets her removed from the buck
4. the smell of buck is alarming to her (in that case put her in the bucks cage for a couple of days or at least overnight so she's living in the smell and that often helps them chill out).
5. she may need "MORE ROOM" to run and feel confident.
6. she may need a more dominant buck to take control of her
7. health issue.
8. potentially already pregnant. so you need to count back and think when she might have been bred... This is why, even if I think a breeding is a failure, I always check the vent to see if there is semen there.

My buck cage is around 24x24. I have always heard that you don't want too big a breeding cage. You don't want the doe out running the buck....true or false?

i find it depends on the rabbits. i have does that panic every time i put them in the buck's cage and just cower in the corner, like they don't feel like they can escape if they need to. when i put them out in a small pen in the yard (like one of those exercise pens for rabbits or puppies,) she seems way more relaxed. i feel like it's important to give the doe an out, and a small cage may not be enough. the space seems to get them frisky and the girls have enough room to give him the dance before they get to work. if she seems to be running the buck too much you can hold her, but she might not appreciate it much.

Hm, the does that got very vocal when I put them with the buck were already bred.

About cage size - I don't know. When I put the doe in the bucks cage, it's quite often stressful for her, and sometimes to no avail.

If I let them in the garden, on purpose or accidentially, and leave them for an hour (or even half a minute in the latter case :? ) they almost always got it done, there only was a problem with first timer doe and buck, took some tries with those.

I'll give it a few weeks now....she is grunting every time I pull her out of the cage and fights me. Let's hope she's bred.

Back