Crust on ears

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooled

Reaction score
I recently bought a black nz breeder buck. I have noticed a brown crust on the fur side right on the edge lining both ears. Inside the ears look clear. The other day I used some water and got it them wet and rubbed them a little and the crust came right off and looked normal again, but it is coming back. Is this normal? I have 8 cages with rabbits and he is the only one that has this.

First thought might be some kind of fungal infection? I thought for sure I would be answering "mites" but with it being on the outside that changes things a bit. Any way you could post a pic?

I took a good picture of it, but it says the file size is too big. I'll get one up as soon as I figure out how to change it. I remember that when I got him his hair on his sides near the back legs had a little of this crust, but I just figured that he might have been kept in a dirty environment. Now it is only around his ears. <br /><br /> -- Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm -- <br /><br /> So, with my daughters help, here is the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.jpg
    IMG_0389.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,341
It reminds me of when my rabbit got some sort of mite or something. It looked like that but on his toe. I used kitten and bird flea and mite powder, I juts rubbed a little into the spot and powdered his cage, then rinsed the cage. I did the same thing a week later and after that it was better.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing, it just looks similar.

I cleaned him up again with water and just rubbed lightly on the ears until they were clean again. It didn't bother him because he had no problem letting me do it. Inside the ears and everywhere else looks good. I have a brown salt wheel in the cage, and I noticed it has some hair caked on it. I wonder if he licks on it getting it wet, and rubs it on his ears? I was about 6 inches high, so I raised it up to where he would have a little harder time getting to it. We will see if it makes any difference, but for now it's still a mystery.

Back