Mini Plush Lops

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What is your take on mini plush lops? I recently bought a few and was planning on breeding them, but I am getting some people who are just rude when I mention them. Yes it's still a working progress. They are not recognized breed, but they are more for pets. They could have a chance I'm sure if they were worked with. I invested quite a bit of money into breeding them. The breeders I spoke with are making profit from them. Any suggestions or constructive comments? Please don't be rude. I think I've heard it all. :/

They are not my cup o' tea but I cannot imagine anyone being rude about them

I actually was breeding lion lops - another "breed in progress" and had quite a bit of support for them

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 3,561
Those are so cute! Do you currently sell these? If so how do you advertise for them. Maybe my wording is wrong. I tried to explain to a woman about them and she stated she was a ARBA member. She slammed down anything I said. On the ARBA website there are steps and explains the process. It also mentioned a youth member would not be a great candidate to basically start the process because of scrutiny and other responsibilities which come with it. It's so understandable now. I keep telling people who try keeping me down that a lot of rabbits or other pets we have today are mixes of other types of rabbits, etc. They have to start somewhere. I'm wondering if I brought down the size more if that would make a difference? <br /><br /> __________ Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:55 pm __________ <br /><br /> Two of the mini plush lips I have.

Attachments

• 20160915_085344-1.jpg
    20160915_085344-1.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 3,553
  • 20160905_132302-1.jpg
    20160905_132302-1.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 3,553
Is this an established line, or are you and that breeder trying to create this from scratch?

A breed needs three differences from any recognized breed to be considered for a COD (so it can't be like, a Holland with rex fur). It also needs to breed true.

A breed can't be made in just one or two generations

In Europe and Australia I believe they have lines of mini plush lop. Theres a Canadian plush lop too. Closest breed that has caught on in the US is the velveteen lop, which is working to become recognized now. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:01 pm __________ <br /><br /> Those two pictures you posted are far from ideal for starting a project if you want to work on a breed. First of all, a BEW buck will introduce the Vienna gene into the lines, and unless you are going for all BEWs youll have white spots and eye problems showing up in future generations, making it hard for them to breed true. If you ever plan to breed to a standard, you will regret using a bew buck or a booted doe in your program, because once the Vienna gene or booted modifiers are introduced, they are impossible to completely get rid of for sure.

Hmmm...did not know that. They have the pedigree information. These are from the Devie D'anniballe herd. So 12 years of breeding to create what she was looking for. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:15 pm __________ <br /><br /> Is the velveteen lop more like an English lop? What's the difference between them? What would you suggest that would make something like a mini plush lop stand out?

Velveteen lop has a body similar to English lop, but near the weight range of a mini lop, and rex fur. They have a longer head (with a roman nose), and very long ears.

Those two rabbits look rather similar - it looks like she had a goal in mind when she was breeding for them, and got type fairly consistent. Try asking other mini plush lop breeders if they've developed a standard to breed towards.

Good luck with them.

I think they are adorable. So long as you have a market, and a use for unwanted animals or those with poor genetics, then there in nothing wrong with getting involved with a non recognised breed, or raising mutts for that matter. :)

i wouldn't try and sell them as a "new breed" and just emphasize that they are the best of both breeds with the loveable lop temperament (assuming this is true ;) ) adorable ears but with the luxurious Rex fur

I no longer breed lion lops but when I advertised I kept it simple and let them sell themselves :D and aimed towards pet rather than show or breeder homes

Good thinking. I've had Holland lops and I currently have mini Rex. They definitely have the Holland lop temperament. Did you advertise as lion lops?

Back