In need of opinions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So I'm selling a little Lionhead doe to a woman and she wants to keep her outside. Now right now the baby is about a month old so it'll be a month probably before she can get the baby.. She's in a room right now that is more temp controlled than the outside in the sense if it's cold out it's chilly in there, if it's hot out it's warm in there. *It's like a mud room, I guess* My thought was that if 3 of the 4 cage sides are covered and she has a nest box something like the one in the pics below (The one without a bottom would have a bottom) and they a bunch of hay in there that would obviously have to be kept clean, she could make it outside in the winter couldn't she? I'm in Burnsville, NC if that helps anything.

If they are kept dry and have a windbreak or a nest box, rabbits do very well outside. They do better in cold than heat and at this time of year she should be able to acclimate to the temps. Mine were kept in an unheated barn with temps well below zero at times and I never had a problem.

Well I'll let her know. I was figuring that but I didn't want to sell the lady a rabbit and then it freeze to death middle of winter... That would be awful >o<

Here in NW PA, I've had all my harlequins outside when it was -20f for weeks on end. Kits are born in outside in winter just fine. The nests are kept inside only for their first 10 days, to prevent kits being pulled out on the teat before they can get back in on their own. After that, the nest is left out. I've never any rabbit over 10 days old to cold.

Latest posts

Back