New rabbit wont eat pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
We have had Frost since Friday afternoon, so far she has not touched her pellets. I don't know if its because it is not the same brand they was feeding at the store or if she is just a stubborn bunny! :lol: They feed them the Rural king brand food at the store, but I didn't want to get a 50 pound bag for only 1 rabbit so I got the only other stuff they had their that didn't have carrots and other vegetables added. Its called Kaytee Healthy support diet. She will eat the timothy hay and my daughter gives her an occasional yogurt treat and she is drinking fine. Also her stool looks normal.
How can I get her to eat the pellets, I don't want to just cut off her supply of hay I am afraid that would cause digestive issues, but I am sure a diet of nothing but timothy hay cant be good for her.

You go back and ask them for some of their food so she can transition to the new pellets or you could top them with some thing she likes. I wont worry about only hay diet it shouldnt hurt her. When she get hungry enough she will eat them. :)

Sometimes enhancing the disliked food with a bit of blackstrap molasses (one tsp. dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water and lightly sprayed or drizzled on pellets) will entice the rabbit to eat. Once they are eating well, decrease the amount and hope they keep eating it anyway. Blackstrap is rich in nutrients so it is all right in tiny amounts.

I've always heard that a diet of mostly hay is actually ideal for rabbits. Mine eat about 80 percent hay and the rest fresh greens. They only get pellets when they're nursing babies. Hay is also substantially cheaper where I live, so pellets are more of a luxury for them.

Latest posts

Back