Register

New cage! DIY shelf cage:)

Do It Yourself and save money. Post about your rabbit DIY projects here.
1 year of membership
South Africa Female
BunnyBucks: 891.00

New cage! DIY shelf cage:)

Post Number:#1  Unread postby olafthebunny » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Hey RT! How's everybunny?

I am super excited!!!!!!! Why?! Well guess what?!
Olaf is getting a new cage!!!!!
This cage will be in indoor cage. I have been researching great ideas for easy builds, and found one I just LOVE!
All you need is an old shelf or book case big enough for your bunny to fit in.
I have found a shelf the perfect fit, and am now waiting for the re-build!
My good friend will be helping me build the cage next month. She says she is also excited!
Also I am going to start litter training Olaf.
I know it might sound crazy and impossible but.....
My mom gave me the idea for litter training. At first when I had seen it in the videos I watch I was like ' No way! Thats just insane!"
But then my mom changed my mind. I've been watching some how to's on it and they all say " Spay or Nueter! Its so much easier!"
I bet it's easier though. But am I in NO WAY fixing my baby!!!! Our vets wouldnt even do it. They dont offer it for rabbits. So yeah....enough on the litter training chit chat...if you're reading this i bet you are getting bored.
Lets change the litter training subject.........
The idea I have is safe and easy. I am so excited!
Also if you have in indoor bunny or a cage that uses bedding or shavings I will be posting a great and easy way to make your own bedding!
Sorry if this post was long!
I will be posting updates when the cage is in progress and when done:)
Keep binkying!
Hey! I'm just a girl who loves bunnies, horses, art, YouTube, writing, reading and more! I also love Rabbit Talk!
Wanna check out my YouTube channel? Here's a link! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOUXs2 ... EPC3ATs2pg
I also write books! PM me for more info on that:)

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,635.00

Re: New cage! DIY shelf cage:)

Post Number:#2  Unread postby a7736100 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:30 pm

You want to have easy waste removal specially urine. One problem I had was pee stains on the walls and floor next to the cage. It's amazing how far they can fling their urine.

1 year of membership
South Africa Female

Post Number:#3  Unread postby olafthebunny » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:39 am

Will keep that in mind!
The back of the shelf will be thick safe wood though.
Hey! I'm just a girl who loves bunnies, horses, art, YouTube, writing, reading and more! I also love Rabbit Talk!
Wanna check out my YouTube channel? Here's a link! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOUXs2 ... EPC3ATs2pg

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,377.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Dood » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:51 am

I've converted several dressers and cabinets and tv units to animal cages but mostly for birds and reptiles, neither of which will chew up the wood like rabbits are apt to do ;)

Preventing the wood from absorbing moisture and/or odours from wastes is the biggest problem with these cages.

I apply a waterproof sealant and then peel and stick linoleum tiles to solve the problem and as long was your rabbit is not a big chewer or maybe if you offer plenty of other tastey bits to nibble on he won't do too much damage :)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (227.54 KiB) Viewed 248 times

1 year of membership
South Africa Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby olafthebunny » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks! Very cool!
I haven't gotten the cage yet, but am getting ready for it. The tiles is a very good idea! Will use it:)

-- Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:20 am --

OK so the plan has changed..... I am not getting the cage built anymore cuz my parents found a cage for the amount of money I have. I will post pics when I get it! I am getting it on Sunday!