Trying to get temp setup

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I need to process three rabbits so I have the cages I need available.. I plan to hammer some nails into a tree branch to hang them on to process.. Not the best but I don't know where else I could or would do it. Any advice is good advice so please leave your input below because I wanna know lol. Ok so for my question. I'm planning to hammer up nails but how far apart should I nail them so their feet will fit and it'll hold them up right. (Pictures would also be appreciated) Thank you!

Have you seen Grumpys video? I changed to that free hanging setup and it works great, nothing unsanitary that could touch the carcass. That really is the best I ever saw.
learning-aid-for-usda-protocol-processing-video-t18360.html

I used a cross with a solid beam before (like my grandparents), which made it somewhat easier to remove the head with an axe, but now I cut around the neck to the bone with a knive, and severe the spine with the garden scissors that is also used for all feet. I remove the head before skinning because I save the pelts.(Warning, the carcass may twitch when removing the head that way)

About the distance, it depends on the size of your rabbits, but imho isn't that critical, you could use a board with several nails in it and chose what suits you.
For my about 3kg growouts I have 55cm, could be a little more, but it's really not that important.

This is my personal favorite video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5EeDx-LDE. I like the way he does it, I also like the idea of hanging by the cords. I have some hemp I could braid for added strength and make the little loops along with some nails hanging off of a tree branch if possible... I'll try to post pics of my setup I end up doing if I can.. :)

I just put slip knots on both ends of a piece of baling twine, threw it over a tree branch away from the trunk, and slipped the hind feet into the loops. Every now and then the knots would stick or the twine would fray and I'd grab a new piece. Since there's constantly some around and I'd often leave it on the tree to use over several weeks until it stuck or weathered too much I was never going to run out of twine. Gravity was helpful then and my hands didn't cramp skinning like they do now using my bathtub. If you just stick a bucket underneath when you split the belly flap the whole digestive tract falls out and I'd pull it loose just above the stomach and let weight take the whole thing into the bucket. Dump the bucket a good enough distance away so it won't smell horrible in my butchering area if I wanted to do some frequently. Much better system than having to do it indoors now. I saw someone made a hanging stand to set in their shower for butchering that same way but indoors. I did learn if you pull the skin off don't pull directly at yourself. When it gives around the front legs and neck you will get splattered with blood. Pull next to you and as down as possible. Removing the front feet first helps.

My favorite is two nails hammered into the overhead cabinets on either side of most sinks INSIDE the kitchen. Two lengths of cord with slip knots like Akane uses which has the rabbit hung up over the sink. I cut fur loose from hind end, pull it down neatly over the head, cut fur loose and then cut off head. All of which is AFTER I dispatch of course! That bit I do outside but only because the wringer is set up outside.

Right now I have to do it outside so my cords and slipknots are tied up over the dog kennel doorway. Its solid so can pull down against it just fine and then the meat goes into a cooler.

Back