new buck spraying EVERYTHING

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobious

Reaction score
We have a proven 1 year old silverfox buck that we just got, and I went in to clean the hutch today and realized that he's managed to spray pee all over the walls around his cage and onto my Californian does face. I put a barrier between his cage and the does cage so at least he doesn't spray her, but it's still getting on the walls. Any suggestions for keeping it contained, or is this just something I have to deal with? My other buck doesn't spray so this is new to me

Also, on another train of thought, does anyone know how to clean yellow urine off a white rabbits face?

I can help with the pee but not with the spraying... I have a REW and she used to sleep at the bottom of the pile so I quite often had a *rather disgusting* yellow bunny.I used Johnson & Johnson (The dye free, paraben free, scent free) baby shampoo (it don't irritate their skin or anything) I'd say if you got a bottle of it and just massaged the area with some soapy water (Baby soap, other soap isn't safe, if I'm not wrong it can kill them if you use the wrong soap). Hopefully this will help (It's what I did, it didn't quite take out the full stain but after I sprayed her with some light fruity beer and she licked herself clean which improved the whiteness as well)
To simplify
Baby shampoo scrub the small area and make sure to rinse well
and then a spray bottle with some beer if you wanna spray the entire bunny and it smell like beer for a month

As for the walls, grab a cheap shower curtain and hang it on the wall. Or a tarp.

As for the bun, some do not react well to being bathed. The doe will groom herself and it will disappear over time.

Well I wasn't saying a bath, it sounds like she got hit in the face. I've had rabbits who hate baths but have allowed me to scrub small spots and then slowly pour warm water to rinse of the area with little to no issue.

BP, I didn't mean to sound as if I was picking apart what you posted. I was just trying to give another option in case.

I had a rabbit that spun and sprayed.... EW
It should stop once he gets his stink on everything .....

That being said .... it might not....lol

I've used old feed bags to protect walls, just be careful you don't get shower curtain, tarp, feed bag touching the cage... bunnies like to chew and pull through and eat anything you let touch the cage.

Marinea":2orowe0a said:
BP, I didn't mean to sound as if I was picking apart what you posted. I was just trying to give another option in case.

I wasn't trying to sound mean.. I didn't realize till after posting and then I had to go feed rabbits because I was running late! I'm so sorry for sounding so harsh >0<

Thanks for all the advice guys, my solution ended up just putting R KELLY in one of my old outdoors cages outside the main hutch. I figure he can spray all he wants outside, and leave my white lady clean and fresh.
As for the pee stained doe, I'm thinking baby wipes

Noobious":3keir1g8 said:
Thanks for all the advice guys, my solution ended up just putting R KELLY in one of my old outdoors cages outside the main hutch.

OMG!!! Best name that rabbit could ever have.

Baby wipes will at least take some or most of the stain.. Completely forgot about baby wipes. I used them on my bunny when he was disabled I'd clean his bum on a nightly basis with them and then he had two bum baths a week. Thankfully he's healed though :)

They also make pet wipes that are not reactive to animals ... just saying :D

I also find that wiping down with a soft cloth wet, then dribbled with a bit of white vinegar makes a good scent eliminator.

Lol you all are nicer than me... I wouldn't keep a spraying buck. Just NOT something I want to deal with in my herd (I'm fine with an aggressive or vocal rabbit, a hard breeder or a poor mother... but not spraying, just grosses me out) The non-spraying bucks don't seem to produce as many spraying offspring.

For the face, just getting the spot soaking wet, drying with paper towels, and repeating until the pee is hardly visible works best for me (usually this is during shows, and I don't want to put any products on them during shows).

SableSteel":39o9t901 said:
Lol you all are nicer than me... I wouldn't keep a spraying buck. Just NOT something I want to deal with in my herd (I'm fine with an aggressive or vocal rabbit, a hard breeder or a poor mother... but not spraying, just grosses me out) The non-spraying bucks don't seem to produce as many spraying offspring.

For the face, just getting the spot soaking wet, drying with paper towels, and repeating until the pee is hardly visible works best for me (usually this is during shows, and I don't want to put any products on them during shows).

To me a spraying buck is just a dominate buck. He just trying to show the rest of the bunnies that he's the man. lol

Back