Meat Rabbit "Type"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It takes a lifetime to develop a line of meat rabbits that breed true to type.
It's far easier and less stressful obtaining that what you wish to produce.
I've raised meat rabbits since the early 70's and learned real quick to take
advantage of others' endeavors. ''Sometimes'' it's darned hard finding what
you want, though.

I almost gave up when I built a new rabbitry and COULD NOT find
halfway decent stock. Luckily, I found 2 bucks and 3 does that became the
foundation of the herd that's in the barn now. This stock has started
rabbitry's from Minnesota to Louisiana. I applaud your efforts in what
you're attempting to do... But it's a whole lot easier buying youngsters
off of the top producers in a commercial herd and hitting the ground
running with your first generation.

Good Luck.. I wish you the best.

Grumpy.

It's certainly a good link for those of us still learning to identify good qualities or characteristics in meat stock! Thank you for sharing, Tricia! :D

I used New Zealand Whites , California and their crosses...I find Californias more solid than the NZ's....the ones I had were a bit agressive though compared to the NZ's. Met a guy who prefers Chinchillas due to his personal obsevation that the meat is better.

Otterman":jetbyhq1 said:
I used New Zealand Whites , California and their crosses...I find Californias more solid than the NZ's....the ones I had were a bit agressive though compared to the NZ's. Met a guy who prefers Chinchillas due to his personal obsevation that the meat is better.

I have meat mutt cross using two lines; New Zealand and American Chinchillas (and I am sure there is a few other breeds in there too.) I find the Chins grow really well... That being said; the person I got my seed stock from was doing some breeding for pelt colours too, so some of the NZ rabbits had lost their vigor due to intensive line breeding.

I don't find a difference on the breed's meat quality, but I also haven't set rabbits aside with the purpose of comparing.

I want to breed for pelt colour as well, but I was concerned about loosing the vigor and meat type, so that's how I stumbled on the attached site. (and I like to share, so others don't have to go through all the searching)

Latest posts

Back