Tops of ears flopping on SF Meat Mutts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
Ok, So I'm not sure if this is an illness or an injury but this morning when I went to go give my rabbits some branches from the fallen tree in the front yard (Maple, Sugar) I noticed the two black kits in the litter, the tops of their ears have flopped over!?! Just the tips... But the other kit (Unsure what color) is fine, it's ears aren't doing the floppy thing. Are they sick? Are they lacking something?

I doubt very much that they are sick. I've seen this a few times and it soon goes away. One theory is that during that period of their growth, the cartilage of the ear is not yet strong enough to support the tips. I've also heard it can be caused by a certain vitamin deficiency.

In any case, I found a previous thread on the topic where it is discussed in detail. :)
post164159.html

Between this morning and me going out to fix cages they popped back up?! I'm confused... Could it be because they were hungry? I'm just confused now

Well they are fine now. I'm not worried, I was at first but I couldn't find anything other than head tilt or ear infection and I knew it was neither... I'm just curious as to what caused it. I suppose it must be the cartilage is weak and slowly building up. How weird!! I've never seen that before >o<

I heard someone call it "summer ear" once, which makes me think it may be at least partially heat related. My young harlequin had droopy ears after a couple particularly hot days this summer, but none of the others did. Then again...half of my rabbits are lops...so they always are droopy :p But both of my rexes have wonky ears right now and they're about 4 or 5 months old now and their ears are gigantic in relation to their heads so it could also be that the cartilage isn't quite strong enough yet. Kinda like how german shepherd dogs go through a floppy stage before their ears stand up. i guess.

either way, they still eat, drink, and run around like normal so i guess it isn't anything serious.

Back