I need help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffed

Reaction score
I am planning on getting a bunny. I have been looking into this for a while and I'm absolutely excited about it but there's one problem. I'm still in high school so I'm not gonna be home 24/7. I'm going to have it free roam in my room instead of being in a cage. Is it a neccesity to get him a friend or will he be okay if he has chew toys while I'm gone? I would be more than happy to get him a friend but I don't have the money to take care of two right now.

You can't really let a rabbit have run of the house while you aren't there. They are naughty, destructive little creatures. It would do fine in a cage while you're gone (rabbits are crepuscular - most active at dawn and dusk, when you're probably home, so when it would be in a cage is when it would be sleeping or inactive in the wild). It doesn't really need a friend, and if you don't have the money to afford two rabbits, it's best to just give one rabbit the best life he can have.

And try to get a buck for your first rabbit... does are mean ;)

If you are going to keep your bunny free range in your bedroom you will need to "bunny proof" everything. That means any loose cords or wires you don't want chewed on will have to be put out of reach of bunny as well as anything else you don't want chewed. Poisonous house plants or small objects the bunny could choke on should also be removed or you risk a disaster. If your floor is carpet you will have to accept the fact that the rabbit will probably dig on it and there will be accidents even if it is litter trained. Rabbits aren't all champagne and roses just like any other pet they have their ups and downs. You will have to learn to be very patient with it. I would suggest either completely bunny proofing your room or building a large hutch for him to live in while you are gone and when you are home let him run round your room while under supervision.
I have a section devoted to indoor vs outdoor living on my website you may want to read: http://easyearsrabbitry.jimdo.com/caring-for-rabbits/ In it I underline some things you'll want to be aware of when having an indoor bun.

Fluffed":6k18f3l2 said:
I am planning on getting a bunny. I have been looking into this for a while and I'm absolutely excited about it but there's one problem. I'm still in high school so I'm not gonna be home 24/7. I'm going to have it free roam in my room instead of being in a cage. Is it a neccesity to get him a friend or will he be okay if he has chew toys while I'm gone? I would be more than happy to get him a friend but I don't have the money to take care of two right now.

I would second SableSteel's thoughts. An unsupervised rabbit is just asking for trouble; it could damage something, it could hurt itself, it could escape, etc. You should look for information on rabbit-proofing a room.
As to how big of a cage to get, how much time (if any) the rabbit should spend out of the cage, whether to get two rabbits; you will get a different answer from everyone. The answers you get here will be extremely different from ones you would get on a house rabbit society type website. So don't be surprised if you hear different answers elsewhere.
Here is the ARBA recommended cage sizes (based on the size of your rabbit) https://www.arba.net/PDFs/CAW.pdf

Give your rabbit as much attention as you feel comfortable with. If you want to give your rabbit 2+ hours of play time, great! If you can only spare 30 minutes or an hour, that's better than nothing. If you can't spend any time with the rabbit, it isn't the end of the world. Don't be guilt tripped into feeling unworthy because you aren't living up to someone else's standards. There's nothing wrong with putting a rabbit on a pedestal and there's nothing wrong with just treating it like an animal.

That being said, if you are already having concerns with how much time you are going to be able to spend with your rabbit, you might want to reconsider getting one. Look on craigslist for a major city and there are a lot of postings for unwanted rabbits. Although they try to put a positive spin on it, they more or less say: I got a rabbit and three-six months later I'm bored with it. And all the hard work I have to put into taking care of the rabbit isn't worth whatever happiness I now get out of it. Try not to be that person.

Don't have more rabbits than you can take care of. A rabbit will do well on its own. If you end up with a rabbit that needs extra stimulation, throw in a toy. Keep it mind, most places that tell you that rabbits need a companion, or that they are bonded and can't be separated, are more interested in getting you to adopt two rabbits; it's an extra rabbit out the door for them.

So good luck with your rabbit.

Excellent information from everybunny who posted! :D

Fluffed, are you still living at home? Have you talked to your parents about all that having a house bunny entails? How are they going to react when it chews the woodwork or pees on the carpet?

Back