Can I glue them?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Will a fryer hide glue to a piece of fabric? As I have many dried fryer hides it suddenly made me wonder if gluing them to fabric might give me the toughness needed to make them into things.

I don't know if it would work -- fryer hides are pretty delicate. Worth a try though.

When I used to make teddy bears, the ones fashioned from old fur coats were backed with sturdy muslin and it helped a lot. Sorry, I can't remember if I used fabric glue or strips of double sided tape to anchor the backing before sewing.

The furs I used were usually mink, curly lamb or muskrat, which have tougher hides. An experienced bear-maker once told me she never used rabbit fur as it didn't hold up well over time.

I can't see why it wouldn't work. That is a really good idea. I think I would use a good quality glue for leather.

I'm going to try this as well. Thanks for bringing it up!

alforddm":11mscf02 said:
I can't see why it wouldn't work. That is a really good idea. I think I would use a good quality glue for leather.

I'm going to try this as well. Thanks for bringing it up!

You are most welcome! I HATE wasting fryer hides, they are soooo soft and pretty. If this gives us all a way to use them its super. :D

Sure hope someone not packing up everything they own in prep for a move gives it a try as I am just about managing time to dry 5 years of frozen hides but not a hope of time to turn them into something fun yet.

Talk about feeling rich though, my stack of dried Rex hides is now over a foot high.

Homer":7s6h626s said:
GBov - better make sure you can take them into the country. A lot of paces won't allow hides to be brought in.

:shock: OMG never thought of THAT!?!

Off to check whooooooooooosh............................

Back