New rabbits, some problems

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobious

Reaction score
One of the new does I got has hair missing and scabbing around her neck, no idea if it was a dog at her previous owners home or what, but does anyone know if it's safe to use peroxide and antibiotic ointment on rabbits?

The lady I got her from had been letting them run around in her yard and seemed pretty clueless about anything to do with the rabbits, and I didn't realize she had injuries until I got her home

My first guess would be that they are wounds from being mounted by other rabbits. Even if they were all girls, it's very common for does to mount each other.
They usually heal pretty well on their own, although abscesses can form in deep ones.

The second guess would be fur mites. The easiest treatment for that would be rubbing in a little food grade diatomaceous earth.

I don't recommend peroxide for any wound

If it doesnt look infected then leave it be

If there is some puss then dab with warm water on a cotton pad to soften any scabs and wipe away the puss and you can apply antibiotic ointment but nothing with zinc or a painkiller in it - both can be toxic if injested

Thanks, we're new to raising rabbits and I know that she's been bred already by the buck, so I'll assume it's from being mounted because I know they were unattended, thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back