Heat sterility?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbitdog

Reaction score
Bred 2 of my NZWs (both still young) last month. It's been 90+ degrees here throughout most of August. One of the does started making an attempt at a nest but never kindled. The other doe dropped 13 but 2 died within 3 days. The other 11 look good.
The doe that successfully mated was bred first. Two days later, I bred the other doe with the same buck. Both does had successfully delivered 2 litters each prior to this.
So, did the heat cause some issues? If so, I guess I would have suspected the first breeding to have been the failure and the 2nd breeding to have been a success but the exact opposite happened. Strange.

With the one doe having 13 I doubt it was a heat issue that caused the one not to kindle. Usually heat issues affect a bucks sperm count causing small litters or no litters but if that happens, it will affect all the litters. Sometimes, does just miss and sometimes it's a health issue. So long as there is nothing visibly wrong with her, I'd re-breed. If she continues to miss while the other doe kindles, I'd cull.

Latest posts

Back