San Juan vs TN Redback

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SableSteel

Reaction score
Have a couple questions about these breeds.

1. I've heard its illegal to raise San Juan rabbits in KY and PA. Is that true, and are there other states where you cant raise them?
2. Are there any laws regulating Tennessee Redback rabbits?
3. What are the differences between these breeds? Only things I've found is that the San Juans tend to be hardier and survive better in the wild.
4. Does anybody know the history of TN Redback rabbits?

Thank you.

I looked up Kentucky law and what do you know...San Juan rabbits are illegal. The Dept of Wildlife lists them separately from domesticated European rabbits. It likely has to do with their use as hunting dog trainers. Maybe what they are calling San Juan are some kind of wild rabbit mix. I am not sure.

I do know that around here, the Redbacks are popular for hunting dog training. I don't think they are recognized by ARBA as a breed, so again, it might be a mix that has gotten a name.

I found this bit

San Juan rabbits are found on San Juan Island (US), the offspring of wild European rabbits. They are wild-agouti colored and weigh 3 - 5.5 lb (1.36 - 2.5 kg).

I wonder if their being illegal has more to do with hunters releasing them into the wild to hunt and/or training rabbits escaping? I could see this being a problem as most people probably wouldn't understand that they are not a native species and the problems they could cause.

alforddm":2sj3kn1f said:
I found this bit

San Juan rabbits are found on San Juan Island (US), the offspring of wild European rabbits. They are wild-agouti colored and weigh 3 - 5.5 lb (1.36 - 2.5 kg).

I wonder if their being illegal has more to do with hunters releasing them into the wild to hunt and/or training rabbits escaping? I could see this being a problem as most people probably wouldn't understand that they are not a native species and the problems they could cause.

I was thinking along the same lines. The raising of the rabbits isn't necessarily the issue, it's the possibility of them getting into the wild - either accidentally or intentionally.

I assumed San Juan was just a mutt breed that was conditioned to eat grasses and greens.

I learn something new every day.
Also, how will they know that you are raising San Juan vs a meat mutt with similar colouring?

I've got 6 with this colouring from a Red NZ doe X Am Chin buck....

Em and Bunny.jpg

San Juans are smaller than NZ mixes, have a different temperament, and have less red tinge to their fur than some.
The ones that escape the hunting dogs can do damage to the environment, so san juans are illegal... but if the tn redbacks have the same purpose then...?

Latest posts

Back