My (Novel?) Slaughter Method

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingrabbit

Reaction score
So I've gradually developed a method for slaughtering that seems a bit different from most of the descriptions and videos ive seen, so i thought id do a quick outline in case somebody finds it, or just part of it, helpful or interesting. id like to publish a little video at some point, but so far, inspiration, time, and technical capabilities have not coincided favorably...

i find it interesting to go and compare notes occasionally with others--you never know when or where you might learn a new trick. :)

you could call it the "game of thrones" method--in that series theres a scene where someone skins a wild rabbit the same way, which is actually the first time i saw it done like that. :) but it actually works great--unless you want to save the pelts, that is!

one nice thing is that all i use is a large cutting board, a small knife, a cleaver or shears, a couple banana leaves to bundle up the offal for composting, and something like a rolling pin or small club for killing.

- i kill with a sharp, firm, direct blow to top/back of the head, using a short heavy stick or similar. one source i read suggests using your hand, but im not that kung fu! the rabbit can be sitting on a flat surface, or held by the feet (they dont much like being held by the feet, but i feel like it makes the blow more sure by allowing for solid follow-through). i make sure to calm it as much as possible first, obviously.

- i dont slit the throat to bleed out. i find they usually bleed out through the nose, ears, and/or mouth with a proper blow (or occasionally inside the neck skin if neck is broken) and havent had any problems. i just hold upside down until spasms and bleeding cease, then...

- i point the rear away and massage the belly to express the bladder. i notice a lot of people dont mention this step, but i find it quite easy and worth doing to avoid unsavory accidents.

- i skin by making a small slit across the middle of the back, then inserting the fingers of both hands and pulling toward each end. the skin comes right off this way in a couple if seconds. i sever the head and all four paws to complete.

- i lay the carcass flat on the cutting board to gut, but otherwise pretty much do the evisceration as most people do.

i find this process quick and very simple. its also humane of course. and it requires no specialized equipment and a minimum of equipment in general (meaning easier clean up for me), which is ideal for doing just a few rabbits at a time or on an as needed basis, anytime, anywhere. or when you just want to get a rabbit into the pot with a minimum of fuss.

Nice! DH's cousin's do something similar for squirrels... his aunt said that they "pull off their pajamas" ;)

Good idea to massage the bladder. I don't plan far enough in advance to pull feed and water before processing so they are always full. Sometimes so much so that it's hard to pinch it off to cut it out...

:lol: i have often described it similarly (tho that also sometimes seems to creep certain kinds of people out).

personally we dont much care for withholding feed or water with the rabs. just doesnt seem necessary, so id rather let them enjoy a few last nibbles and such. with chickens or ducks i definitely wont skip it tho...

I skin mine the same way. Make sure you butcher around 12 weeks or before or they do get a lot tougher to skin. Sometimes my brothers have some to butcher at the time it is real easy to skin them when two of us pull opposite ways! Normally tho I do it myself but I hang mine up on two nails on a board by the back feet tendons remove head, front feet make a small slit near bladder I try to twist it then pull it out have had a few not go perfectly :D then cut down the belly to remove guts. I remove the back feet last. Massage the bladder is something I've never tried my give it a shot!

I have used the skinning method on rabbits slaughtered at almost four months without trouble (which is the longest i would ever keep a grow-out anyway). When we used it on an old buck, it was a lot harder, and my wife had to hold one end (i think we may have had to use a knife a wee bit too), but basically the same process--but anyway older culls are quite rare for most people.

whatever works best for someone is the best method! :)

We have never really found hair getting onto the meat to be a problem... Seems an easy, handy trick though for those who do. :)

ramblingrabbit":2jnfjvnw said:
We have never really found hair getting onto the meat to be a problem... Seems an easy, handy trick though for those who do. :)

Really?? I always have hair everywhere! I used a hose this last time and it was better though...

I use a 5 gallon buck with a frozen 2 liter in it. Filled with water. Then it just a quick dip and ready for next step. :)

heritage":1g72dwi2 said:
ramblingrabbit":1g72dwi2 said:

Really?? I always have hair everywhere! I used a hose this last time and it was better though...

Haha! i dunno, :shrug: theres always a little i guess, but after i make the first little cut and tear at middle and the skin turns inside out it seems to contain it pretty well, and most rinses off (i always rinse really well anyhow, rubbing with my hand, to get as much as possible of the blood off) whatever trace small ones are left on the carcass just doesnt bother us i guess? i also love the feel of touching the silky, dry fur...

come to think of it, the fact that i do it all outside and theres usually a light breaze may help too to blow the dry fur away from the cleaning station.

whatever method works best for each is the best method! :)

Back