Register

People's reactions

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 2,681.00

Re: People's reactions

Post Number:#16  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:42 am

I can't think of any specifically negative experiences that I have had over the years. Yes, many people do not want to hear about killing and eating rabbits. That's their choice. When I was young, we raised rabbits as part of our family farm and enjoyed many meals. As an adult I changed my diet and I no longer eat rabbit, but I have raised and fed rabbits to my dogs for years. I find them to be just about the perfect food source for my dogs and I really cannot wait to get back up and running as one of me elder dogs could really use the immune boost.
I think some of the negativity comes from the idea of "cages". Too many people watch too many Sarah MacLachlan commercials and associate cages with suffering. I try to do what I can to enrich my rabbits' life, through enrichment toys, feed variety and the occasional foray out into the wide world. The kits that are being raised for meat are treated equally as humanely, just not named and bonded so closely with.
English, French and Satin Angoras

The following user would like to thank SixGun for this post
Zass

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:21 pm

SixGun wrote:I can't think of any specifically negative experiences that I have had over the years. Yes, many people do not want to hear about killing and eating rabbits. That's their choice. When I was young, we raised rabbits as part of our family farm and enjoyed many meals. As an adult I changed my diet and I no longer eat rabbit, but I have raised and fed rabbits to my dogs for years. I find them to be just about the perfect food source for my dogs and I really cannot wait to get back up and running as one of me elder dogs could really use the immune boost.
I think some of the negativity comes from the idea of "cages". Too many people watch too many Sarah MacLachlan commercials and associate cages with suffering. I try to do what I can to enrich my rabbits' life, through enrichment toys, feed variety and the occasional foray out into the wide world. The kits that are being raised for meat are treated equally as humanely, just not named and bonded so closely with.

Media definitely paints a BAD picture. I had something pop up on YouTube from overseas that was horrendous... I guess some people would see that and think that ALL meat rabbits live like that.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Post Number:#18  Unread postby SixGun » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:21 pm

I think one thing I simply don't care to talk about it the actual death. The husbandry, raising, processing, tanning, etc are all safe topics, but the actual dispatching is difficult for just about everyone. I've used a couple methods, only changing to improve the method, because the last thing I want on earth is suffering. And so anyone not truly like minded and understanding of the process is not going to walk away better from that conversation.

Any animal can be raised unethically, and cultural differences don't always translate well. I've seen too many house rabbits that I think back on were actually neglected, and I've seen a number of rabbitries that are on the good side and a few on the bad side. We are truly only in control of ourselves and our own actions. If we strive to make our rabbits happy, healthy and well cared for, then thats what we can do. Following on that, I believe education is so important. Some of the techniques and behaviors I was taught on the farm 30 years ago are not what I would advocate in today's market, and I hope that as I continue to learn and converse with other breeders, I will continue to improve.

The following user would like to thank SixGun for this post
Preitler

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:06 pm

:yeahthat:

You make a lot of good points, SixGun. I'll bet there are a lot more neglected pet rabbits than neglected or mistreated meat rabbits. When you raise something for meat, you want it to be healthy and contented. So many pet rabbits have owners who lose interest and provide less-than-adequate care.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 1,030.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:54 am

I am going to say dido sixgun. I only want the best for my meat rabbits. But a grow out cage I notice can get a little messy in just a few hours. Thats why they get checked on every 2 hours so I can keep in the best conditions. The most they go with out being checked on is 5 to 6 hours when I am sleeping. :)
Have a Nice day
BigFoot

Site Supporter

Post Number:#21  Unread postby SixGun » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:18 pm

bigfoot_158 wrote:I am going to say dido sixgun. I only want the best for my meat rabbits. But a grow out cage I notice can get a little messy in just a few hours. Thats why they get checked on every 2 hours so I can keep in the best conditions. The most they go with out being checked on is 5 to 6 hours when I am sleeping. :)

Wow bigfoot, that is a lot of commitment. And I agree, those grow out cages can get messy fast.

MaggieJ wrote:You make a lot of good points, SixGun. I'll bet there are a lot more neglected pet rabbits than neglected or mistreated meat rabbits. When you raise something for meat, you want it to be healthy and contented. So many pet rabbits have owners who lose interest and provide less-than-adequate care.

Neglect is always my concern with pet rabbits. Just like pet dogs, they are novel and fun at first and then people in general have the tendency to become less interested. Thats why I like things with a purpose.

I have a hunting dog. Sure, she's my pet, but she also has a purpose, and through that purpose, she also has to be maintained to fulfill that role, i.e. well cared for, exercised, acclimated, trained, etc. I have a house rabbit, but he's not much of a house rabbit in that he's actually with me more than he is at the house. He's my little therapy bunny and he goes everywhere. I'm not always thrilled that he has to be in his bag, but, he doesn't seem to mind and he's always there for me. And, the people that know he's in there are always looking forward to some cuddle time. And he is such a good ambassador for the species. Rabbits are a great alternative for apartment dwellers, and lets be honest, their shorter life spans are sometimes about all the commitment some people are capable of.

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,884.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby FourRingCircus » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:53 pm

SixGun - I am an animals-for-a-purpose person as well. Dogs? First line of defense (not aggressive, but very good alarms!), plus critter control (moles mainly, but they went nuts around 3:30 the other morning... found a small possum dead in the yard the next morning. I am making the rather safe assumption the two are connected). Cats? More critter control. Chickens? EGGS! And pest control. Guineas? Alarm and pest control. Rabbits? Meat and stress relief.
Formerly known as "heritage" :)

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 8, 6, & 4!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey will be on hold for a few years as we take on a new adventure in WV! Maybe a new focus on gardening in a cooler climate...

Site Supporter

Post Number:#23  Unread postby SixGun » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:08 pm

heritage wrote:SixGun - I am an animals-for-a-purpose person as well. Dogs? First line of defense (not aggressive, but very good alarms!), plus critter control (moles mainly, but they went nuts around 3:30 the other morning... found a small possum dead in the yard the next morning. I am making the rather safe assumption the two are connected). Cats? More critter control. Chickens? EGGS! And pest control. Guineas? Alarm and pest control. Rabbits? Meat and stress relief.

I was raised on a farm and then bought a farm of my own. But, I've now moved across country, so I'm doing a LOT of relearning. I had been pushing the family to move rural again, but, I read a book that really changed my way of thinking, "Extreme Simplicity: Homesteading in the City". https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Simplici ... 1890132365 Now I'm trying to make our more urban home into something that can be farm like. Rabbits are a GREAT option to help self sustain in a small area. I'm really excited about getting back into them full swing.

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:21 pm

I mostly prefer "animals for a purpose" but I would always want to have a cat, even if she never caught a mouse in her life. Marilla (RIP) was an avid mouser, whereas our current moggie, Jenny, does not take it quite so seriously. Still, she helps. :)

I have one remaining Pilgrim goose. Elsie is ten years old and she is a joy . . . but except for a couple dozen eggs in the spring, she contributes only companionship. But now and then a critter grabs your heart and that counts too! :love:
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Site Supporter

Post Number:#25  Unread postby SixGun » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:24 pm

Companionship is a purpose. :)

Our cat causes nothing but grief when he escapes from the house and I'm sure he's coyote dinner. I've only ever seen him annoy a kangaroo rat that I'm pretty sure he brought in the house and I had to sweep back out of the house in the middle of the night. He's supposed to be an inside cat, but he's a stray turned into the shelter, so some days are a struggle.

We have 4 dogs, a bird dog (5 yr old purebred and titled), a pit bull (shelter special), an ancient bulldog (10 yrs old and still annoying as heck) and our newest addition, a 12 week old cattle dog. The new one is to help reshape our current dog dynamic, be a companion, and be a good overall 'stead dog.

The house rabbit is pure companion. And so are my daughter's goldfish.

The rabbits we bring in will help even out our ever growing dog feeding expense, provide fiber for spinning and sale, pets for sale, and pelts for use and sale.

I'd like to grow a better herb garden, and I'm hoping the rabbits can help there too with fertilizer and worms.

Too much FUN~

Site Supporter
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,919.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:19 pm

My rabbits were originally housed in my heated garage. (detached)
Changing the pans became a smell issue for a neighbour. This neighbour reported us to the town. My husband made the mistake of telling the officer that we were raising the rabbits to eat. That classified the rabbits as livestock, so I needed to find a place that was zoned AGRI to house my rabbits.

When I posted a photo of my rabbit cage set-up on a FB Gardening group to see if anyone had barn space to rent, I was attacked by one lady for housing my rabbits in cages! I ended up having to delete the post. My post didn't say anything about eating rabbits, just that I needed a space about the size of a horse stall for my 12 rabbits.

(I have two towers that are 4 cages high, one has 24x24 cages, one has 30x24 cages and a wooden rigged cage holder with two 30x30 cages for grow outs and a side by side 24x24 - about 8 feet of cages)

Now my poor rabbits have gone from a controlled environment (heated in the winter and air in the summer) to a shed with a leaky roof .... lol .... Looking for a farm in 2020 when the financial situation will be in line with the goals.

That was my worst experiences. My best was selling a breeding quad to a guy who wanted to raise meat rabbits and loved my rabbits and the set-up.

My step-daughter is 15 and will tell anyone she eats "bunny"...lol
Breeding Czech Frosty & Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

Previous