combination feeding....natural and pellets...how much?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoisguy

Reaction score
I have been giving my meat rabbits only 3 oz of pellets a day. I go to the overgrown garden and get handfuls of overgrown weeds and stick them in there in the evening....most are gone by morning. I get carrots from the place I work at and tend to throw those in there every other day. About every other day in the evening I give each rabbit a quarter slice of apple(size of a silver dollar). The apples are small. Anything seem out of whack? I am attempting to go more natural in feeding. Thanks....I am new to this.....

Try to use more grasses (growing fodder can be useful - I'd look into it if I were you) and leafy greens (kale, spinach, etc), and less sweet fruits like apples. Rabbits really like dandelion if theres any of that growing near you (I live in a desert, so Im not much an expert on what wild plants rabbits will eat... they don't like cactus lol). If you could split the carrots up so they're getting half that amount every day, I think that would help - a consistent diet is good.

The best thing to do is to look at the rabbits themselves, and see how they respond to the feedings. If they are getting skinny, try feeding them more food in general (or at least more pellets). If they are having soft stools, try to add more hay or grasses or even pellets and take away some of the richer foods. Young rabbits may have more digestive problems if given things like apples.

Sable listed some great greens. I would add, if you have any, wild blackberry canes/leaves, plantain leaves, wild Rose canes/leaves, and kudzu, if it grows where you are. Add new greens slowly and watch for loose stool.

If you can get the carrot tops at work instead of the carrots, those are a great green, also.

Definitely check the buns for weight changes. I have a scale, but use the "hand along the spine" method most often. You want to feel the spine, but don't want it to feel spikey.

Latest posts

Back