Power Free Air Conditioning!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
I finally figured out a power free way to cool my rabbits and am now moving to a cold climate. Figures! :lol:

But thought I would share in case anyone else wants to try. Its a combo of two different ways to keep things cool.

The first is called a Zeer, when you put a pot inside a porous pot, filling the void with sand. When you wet the sand down it evaporates through the outer porous pot which cools the inside pot right down. It will keep milk fresh for quite a few days so its a true cooling method. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot-in-pot_refrigerator

The second - I cant find the link right now so maybe someone else with better search skills can find it please? - is the study done on keeping rabbits in wire cages with access to underground nest chambers for year round breeding in hot climates.

Now, imagine the Zeer thing made out of concrete blocks. About hip high, with the inner space big enough for a large rabbit to get into. Or I was going to double it so there would be two nest chambers, one for each cage. The concrete blocks would also serve as one side of the cage support so, instead of needing a tunnel to get into it, the rabbit can go right through the bottom of its cage. About 10 inches of one end of the cage would rest directly on the concrete blocks. The space between cages would be bigger than normal, longer than two nest boxes laid end to end but it wouldnt take up too much more space, esp as you wouldnt have to access behind the cages like in the hot climate study.

My cages all row side by side anyway so extra space between them wouldnt be a hardship. As most of my cages are smaller breeder cages with doors cut open between cages to give my does 4 ft of space, I could easily shut them off from the opening into the underground space until they pick, and get use to, their potty corner so as to keep the bit of the cage resting on the blocks clean. Danged buns of mine love to poo on any bit of cage that rests on anything. Poo pancakes must be nice as they all work non stop to make them. :evil:

Cover each underground nest space with wire wrapped styrofoam so the buns dont eat the door, and dampen the sand.

Hey PRESTO, free air conditioner for bunnies!

Wish I could draw it out for y'all or build it and take pictures but the best I can do is words so I hope its enough.

Zeer pots don't work really well in humid climates. Kinda like water coolers they work off evaporation. If you don't have alot of evaporation you don't have near as much cooling.

If I'm picturing what you've got planned correctly (I'm a draw me a picture type person) it would work in a humid climate but mostly due to the thermal mass of the bricks and sand keeping the temperatures down.

In egypt they breed rabbits year round in colony type settings with large ceramic pots in the ground.

I think this might have been the paper you wanted? http://www.raising-rabbits.com/support- ... limate.pdf

Yep, that is the study, many thanks! :D

The thermal mass would keep them cool down here in Fl but the Zeer element might help quite a bit in places with a dry heat.

My problem with the study is the space needed when you have the underground bit behind the cages. I have NEVER had enough space for it so building the underground into plinths that fit between the cages would work for me really well.

Well, it would if I wasnt moving to a cold climate, that is. :lol:

Back