Is this a gold tipped steel, or something else?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a cross between my Creme d'Argent doe, and I *think* my NZW/REW buck (I say *think* because I forgot to write that minor detail down :oops: , and she produced the same exact color kits - orange and steel - as when she was bred to him in the past. The other option is a Chinchilla buck).

The steels have the softest, silkiest fur of any rabbit I have ever had in my rabbitry. I actually have two older bucks that didn't get processed this last time (ran out of daylight) and they are old enough now I think the pelts are worth saving to practice on. This is my lone doe. I love the coloring on her. I assume she's a gold tipped steel, but not sure if the silvering changes that labeling?

I have a better full body shot - sent myself the wrong one from DH's phone...

steel3.jpg

There is a tuft of brown/orange right between her ears

steel2.jpg

steel.jpg

Attachments

• steel4.jpg
    steel4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 723
This is a gold tipped steel. Also a creme x chinchilla can't produce this color - so you know the dad is the rew buck

Silver is rare enough that they dont have different names for them and "creme d'argent" roughly translates to "fawn and silver" ;)

A creme x chinchilla could not produce this colour but a creme X steel chinchilla could

A silvered gold tipped steel, or more easy to say, silvered GTS. :) Nice pics! It's really hard to catch both the silvering and the steeling on camera in such a way that someone could identify both.
Also, it's more visual evidence for my insistence that silvering is similar to other white marking genes, in that it tends to easily show up over top of other colors, and it absolutely not related to the E locus. :cool:

One color I haven't seen yet is a silvered silver tipped steel. It's genetically possible, and probably not even difficult to create. Easiest way I'd know to produce one would be to cross a rew or rew carrying SF(not really that uncommon) to any kind of chinchilla.

Nifty! :clap2:

I do have a chin doe and have crossed her with the steel carrying REW buck - what would I be looking for for a silvered silver tippe steel (I have a litter out back actually ;) )

Back