litter box or nestbox?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
so I just purchased a mini Rex who is bred. She is also litter trained. When it comes time to kindle, will she do it in her litter box or her nestbox? I have never had a litter trained rabbit. This is a first timer. Her nestbox will have shavings and straw, she came with a bag of pet store rabbit litter material.

It depends on the individual. If she's well established at going in the litterbox and you don't put the nestbox in too early or too late she should use the nestbox for kits and the litterbox for potty. They do occasionally get confused though especially if a routine isn't established such as putting the litterbox in just before the nestbox instead of it already existing. Some will use a nestbox to potty when it's added because they have no litterbox and they aren't ready to make a nest yet. Some never pee in their nestbox even if you leave it in between litters. I do have one doe in a solid bottom cage who always tries to nest in her potty corner. I just wait until she's done and then transfer them to a clean nestbox. She has never failed to care for them even when I switch the corner the box is in.

I agree with Akane. Establish the litter box well in advance of kindling but be sure to add the nest box around Day 27 or before if she starts to exhibit nesting behaviour. If she gets confused... well, she's got you to sort her out.

"She has never failed to care for them even when I switch the corner the box is in."

I was wondering about that too. Thank you. So I guess I will just keep an eye on her a lot to move the kits right away if she does it wrong. I will let you know what happens when she kindles, in case you all are curious. :D

so she kindled on Tuesday, day 30... 5 nice looking kits. She had them in the nestbox. Horray! But she didn't pull any fur and they froze. Bummer. It's her first litter, so her Momma instincts didn't completely kick in... I will give her recoup time and breed her again. :(

agree with ladysown... you will find that doe very receptive, and will probably get a larger litter... if my experience holds true :)

ok thanks! I will breed tonight or in the morning. May be more receptive in the morning. I think she has potential, seeing that she was smart enough to have them in the nestbox and not the litterbox. She is one of my best looking mini Rex does, bred to my best buck. Looking forward to beautiful kits.

Back