Croupy cough/Sneeze?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my young NZR bucks has a barking cough/sneeze, like the sound my son makes when he has croup. It may be related to the grass hay I've been feeding, and it it were P. then he'd be dead by now since he's had this sneeze/cough for at least 8 weeks (over the course of summer).

He lives outside, eats forage, doesn't blow snot, not crusty eyes or paws, eats and drinks like a young rabbit should, poops normally, smells fine (in reference to one of the sick rabbit threads where the rabbit smelled like death before dying). Speaking of threads, I have read through the Pasturella threads, and allergy threads, and am about to hit the pneumonia threads. He isn't running a fever and he's had the sneeze/cough since the beginning of summer but now but it has recently started sounding like a croup-sounding bark. It seems after exerting himself that he begins this cough/sneeze/bark, which is why I'm thinking respiratory infection?

Any suggestions on medicinal foods to feed him?
Many thanks,
Suzanne

There is no guaranteed time line with p....they can live for YEARS with it and not kill over....do not brush it off.

Isolate if not alone and stop feeding the grass to see if that's what it is. Rabbits just don't get colds like us. Do you have a stethoscope? You can actually (if he'll sit still) listen to his lungs to see if he's rattling or if its in his nose that's making the noise. You can hold him up to your ear too, but its a little harder to do (especially if he's nosy and a chewer lol).

It could be a number of things, just like you're thinking unfortunately. But like I said, start with the first thing and isolate no more grasses.

Latest posts

Back