What To Feed The Rabbits From The Fall Garden

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zee

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting ready for the fall planting season, and I have been thinking about growing stuff that I could also feed the rabbits. This will be supplementing the commercial feed I will be feeding them. I've been out of the loop for a while, but, I have decided to get another breeding stock in the fall. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should grow for the rabbits? I am going to grow collard greens FOR SURE! I remember how much the rabbits LOVED THEM! I also will be feeding them Bocking 4 Comfrey that I already grow. Thanks in advance. :)

I don't know if it's too late for that, but here sunflowers, peas, lacy phacelia and white mustard were planted as green manure in fall, of course too late for any of that stuff to mature, but it grew well. I fed all of that, they really loved the sunflowers.

I'm in a very different growing region so my ideas may not be helpful. We feed kale which was highly recommended in the old rabbit books. We also feed garden variety chicory as well as the wild kind. We cut some of our cover crops for rabbits--clover, oats, buckwheat. And especially in fall and winter we feed root crops--turnips, beets, carrots and potatoes (the last must be cooked, others fed raw). If you haven't been following the natural feed forum, you might want to search for michaels4garden's posts. He taught me a lot about roots--and I think he has lived in Florida at some point so would know your growing situation better. And if I had your longer growing season I'd grow sweet potatoes and feed both vines and roots.

Back