Not sick but where are the babies *sighing impatiently*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So I have a doe on day 31 she looks pregnant but I can't feel any kits.. I didn't want to deal with any possible complications from her waiting past her due date so I put a buck with her. Well she started snorting and then sneezing. I'm really about to sell all my rabbits and start new. This is getting old now. I'm gonna clean the empty cage I have with hot vinegar water and then do the same to all the rest one at a time. There's no white snot or anything around her nose and she normally don't shake. Some of them have been itching their ears more than normal so I treated for ear mites and the issue seems to have went away except for a few who are still shaking their heads. I haven't heard her sneeze before now any and it didn't really sound like a something is stuck sneeze. Maybe it's because she was grunting so loudly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Snorting and sneezing COULD be signs of disgust that you put her with a buck. From your other post, she has her reasons for not wanting to be with a buck. If there is no white snot, I would put her in quarantine and wait and see if she kindles.

BTW, it isn't helpful to have you start a new thread about an ongoing problem with a particular rabbit. Better to stick to one thread and perhaps edit your title to indicate complications. I could easily have missed this.

Yeah I didn't intend to do that. I was just freaking out ya know. It's been a stressful day dealing with everyone if ya know what i mean?

And know that day 31 is not a deadline for kindling. There really isn't a "due date". Patience.

*Fingers crossed*

ButtonsPalace":3b8gvmdq said:
Yeah I didn't intend to do that. I was just freaking out ya know. It's been a stressful day dealing with everyone if ya know what i mean?

I know exactly what you mean, Buttons. It wasn't meant to be a criticism, just a helpful hint that would assist you getting the best responses.

Marinea is right! Day 31 isn't a deadline, so keep that nest box in there! Dozens of times, I have heard people lament that they "didn't think she was pregnant after all" only to have the doe kindle on the wire after the nest box was removed.

Don't make that mistake!

Well I guess I just worry. I had a doe kindle one kit on day 33 and it was quite a bit bigger than a normal kit. That included she normally don't have but 6 and seems to kill 3 of the 6 each litter so I'm stressed trying to watch her because I don't really know what's causing her to do so or whatever is happening. I bought them from a local montessori school they were trying to raise meat rabbits. *These rabbits were sitting on top of 2 feet of poop and pee soaked hay. The doe was living with the buck in a shared cage and her three 2-3 week old kits.* He told me she had 6 but there was only 3 left. I'm wondering if she's the culprit or him? I'm stressing myself out far too much hoping I can catch her not long after having the litter to make sure she isn't the one doing anything. I believe I felt a kit or two but she was so wiggly it was really hard to tell.

We all try to do the best we can to prevent anything bad from happening. If you are worried about her attacking her babies, then when she does kindle I would try to remove them right away. Now that she is in a clean environment, she may not feel the need. Just watch her closely. Have you had her long enough that she is comfortable with you or is she fairly new (been with you a month or less)? If so, you will have better luck. If shes new, it might be tougher. It doesnt sound like she is necessarily sick. And if she does have a large kit or go late with a litter there isnt much you can do, so try not to worry (I know, easier said than done).....

She's been here with her kits since about February. The kiddo's are all three about 6 months now. They were about a month old at the beginning of March. The guy said 2-3 weeks. So I just decided to call them 2 weeks and keep them with mom an extra week before putting them in their own cage. Well gonna go check momma again and hopefully this time I'll have nestbox full *fingers crossed on Day 32*

-- August 29th, 2016, 11:25 am --

She's pulled fur and is still pulling fur. I think she lost her babies to the cold. Her litter was 2-3 weeks old about the 3rd week of February which means *If I'm not wrong* they endured quite a snow storm. Which makes me believe she's truly a very good momma. I saw her nest box and I know she's ate some of the hay *rolls eyes* but now she's building a mega nest. I believe the hay to fur ratio is about 1 handful of hay : 3 handfuls of fur. When I went down I turned her nest box so I could see in it better *I put it in sideways last night which means you have to crawl between her and the rabbit beside her to see (was not logical decision)* Well this is the first time I've seen her build a nest and the 2nd or 3rd time she's had a box. I'm pretty hopeful especially since her belly is big. I believe today may be the day I just hope I didn't mess with her process. She's never been aggressive she's very sweet and shy she just don't seem to care for me to much in the sense she sits in the back corner when I open her cage. Although I should say she's came a long way since I've had her. I feel like we're two strangers on this slow awkward path to friendship sometime down the road haha. <br /><br /> -- August 29th, 2016, 8:55 pm -- <br /><br /> Well still no babies.. Starting to get unnecessarily stressed mostly because I'm almost positive I felt a kit but I'm not sure that it was moving. She's been acting very very uncomfortable today and yesterday (not eating food, breathing heavier) I know this is all signs of her being in labor. I checked to make sure she didn't have a stuck kit, and she does not, Tomorrow is day 33. When should I start worrying? There is a lavender farm near me so I can probably go get some fresh for her if I have to. I'm used to does having kits on day 31 and like I said after seeing how big that day 33 kit was I'm kinda starting to get worried. Is it possible for her to get hurt or for the kits just not to come out? Would it be a good idea to offer her some Raspberry leaf? *We have some dried that's intended for tea or grinding into a powder*

Buttons, try to relax. It is not uncommon for does to kindle even as late as 35 days. If you can get some lavender buds, fresh or dried, by all means do it and keep them on hand. But it's not something to be used lightly.

One thing you can do is to give her a fruit-flavoured TUMS. It is a calcium antacid and will supply the extra calcium she may need. Just drop it in her feed bowl and she will take it if she needs to. Or not.

Stressing about your rabbits really must take the joy out of raising them. It's not necessary and it's not good for you.

Well after finally leaving her alone for a while she had 5 beautiful babies rolling in waves of momma's hair. I don't understand how she isn't bald!! I need to take pics of her nest. I have two other does who's fur must be nothing compared to this momma. Her nest must be 90% fur because she ate almost all of the hay that was in the bottom >3< The outcome was 2 black, 2 lilac, 1 chocolate. Seems like it was a better idea than I thought to keep that little brown buck I kept. He's shy and needs some practice as to what to do. He had a doe turn on him and I reached in and pushed her back and then held her down and he just sat in the corner looking horrified the poor thing. I hope to have some more brown babies they are very pretty. I plan to breed him to my REW and Chin doe kinda curious about the outcome. If I can get the babies without being peed on for once I'll take pics. I've never seen babies pee this much! I don't get it!

Glad to hear that your doe had a successful kindling, Buttons! I'll bet you're smiling from ear to ear! :D

If you can salvage some of the excess clean fur from the nest without robbing the babies, save it in a baggie for a time when some doe neglects to pull enough to keep her kits warm.

I don't think I'd be robbing them even if I took half of it. I'm seriously still wondering how she don't have bald patches. I suppose it's because she's shedding. I guess I helped her speed up that process. I'm gonna go take pics of those little cuties if I don't get peed on again for a 3rd time... And I was very excited to see babies, the doe was on the chopping block and she saved her rump last minute

Back