Guinea pigs! Er, hogs, I mean... Guinea HOGS.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear they are getting friendly, MSD. They know Mama brings good eats. :lol:

I'll bet there are all kinds of weeds that could be fed to them. They'd enjoy the variety and it would help to cut the feed bill a bit.

MaggieJ":3aqcod5c said:
I'll bet there are all kinds of weeds that could be fed to them. They'd enjoy the variety and it would help to cut the feed bill a bit.

Yep! They are grazers and do well on forage. Once they are bigger I am going to start pasturing them.

This is supposed to be an El Nino year, so hopefully they will have lots and lots of yummy green goodies to eat. :D <br /><br /> __________ Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:38 am __________ <br /><br /> What a difference a week makes! Here are my little piggies as of today:

IMG_8690.JPG

Preitler":mzlx1b9r said:
Wow. They grow fast - how much do you feed them per day?

Umm... not really that much. They have been getting 3 square meals a day. Mostly zucchini, which is their favorite so far. I probably feed them about 8 cups of zucchini a day.

Lunch is boiled carrots and potatoes, and to this last batch I added flour tortillas that had dried out because the bag got left open. They slurped them right up since they were soaked in the pot liquor.

Dinner is more zucchini and about 3 cups of pig chow. They also get weeds.

I have only gone through 5lbs of potatoes this week (and the 10lb bag only cost a dollar!), and a couple of pounds of carrots. All of the zucchini has been from the garden, and is those mammoth ones that seem to appear overnight no matter how hard you try to keep up with the harvest.

Preitler":mzlx1b9r said:
Also, do they eat the hay or ignore it? There is so little wasted hay on the floor...

They haven't really figured out the hay rack as far as I know... but they will eat the hay if I put it in a pan. I think the hay is too high for them to reach.

We raised AGH one year. It was a very good experience. They are gentle, calm and easy on the land. They also had an absolutely faithful respect for the electric wire. I used to tell people that I could turn the electric off and they would stay behind the wire. Once they learned hit, they never tested it again. All of our other "commercial" breeds constantly test the wire, so if the power goes out, your hogs are going out!
The only reason that I didn't keep raising AGHs was because they seemed to have a pretty low yield of actual meat. I figured if I was going to raise something and then spend a morning butchering it, I ought to have a pile of meat to show for it and these little breeds just didn't meet my expectations.
On the bright side, they are low maintenance and not aggessive at all. As with all hogs, they love greens/weeds, garden scraps and acorns/chestnuts (caution: they'll lop off fingers with ease; teeth are like razors). However, I absolutely would not ever feed my hogs any meat product. Yes, they will eat about anything except citrus but no meat for mine! Back in the early 20th century, organized crime rings used to have arrangements with hog farms. When they would have a body that needed to disappear, they would contact their hog farmer and tell him to not be home on Friday night. This was a signal to the hog farmer to starve the hogs for a few days. Then, they would dump a body in the hog lot on Friday night and by morning, the 800 pound hogs would have devoured everything ... bones, shoes, even leather belts! Better than composting! :twisted:

Issue with that is no hog can get their mouth around a human head, and the teeth pass unharmed. So for it to work one would have to remove all teeth and crush the skull prior to feeding to any hogs. :twisted: Just saying.

I'm not condoning feeding corps to pigs. But if your going to do it, don't do half measures! :mrgreen: :p :lol: :lol:

I disagree. You might want to visit a 1000 pound hog up close. He could step on a human head and crush it. And yes, they do use their feet to help break up stuff they want to eat. Teeth wouldn't matter. They grind up everything they get in their mouths. I watch my youngster hogs take green peaches and devour them, including the seed. Sounds like they're eating rocks! :eek: Just saying... :p

Rabbitdog":20x7c5vh said:
I disagree. You might want to visit a 1000 pound hog up close. He could step on a human head and crush it. And yes, they do use their feet to help break up stuff they want to eat. Teeth wouldn't matter. They grind up everything they get in their mouths. I watch my youngster hogs take green peaches and devour them, including the seed. Sounds like they're eating rocks! :eek: Just saying... :p

*shudder* - gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it! I have heard more than one story about hogs and humans... crazy to think about!!

I fed all my butcher waste to my PBPs when they lived at home with me and it all went away and turns into pork. BUT!!! I found it was mostly the boys eating it! When I tossed in a bucketful of rabbit "bits" after butchering all the males from one half grown litter, the bits just got trampled and stank for a few days before the girls finally got it eaten.

Guinea hogs sure are cute but, to be honest, if you hadnt told me they were Guineas, I would have sworn they were PBPs! :oops: :lol:

On Monday as Queenpup and I were driving through Arvin, we saw a field where the watermelons were being disced under.

Of course, my eyes lit up at the possibility of free pig food. :lol: I stopped and spoke to a nice man named Tom who was welding some pipe, and he gave me permission to gather some.

There were a LOT of melons in the field, but I didn't want to be greedy and take too many since I figure they enrich the soil once disced under. I still have enough to spoil my little piggies for quite some time though!

IMG_8693.JPG
IMG_8696.JPG

Rabbitdog":24a22hxn said:
They are gentle, calm and easy on the land. They also had an absolutely faithful respect for the electric wire.

We don't have electric fence, so I am hoping that they will be content to range around within our fence line. I intend to feed them delectable piggy slop at least twice daily so hopefully they wont want to wander very far.

The only reason that I didn't keep raising AGHs was because they seemed to have a pretty low yield of actual meat.

What age did you butcher? I am on a GH group on FB and most seem to wait until they are around two. Once I am actually breeding them, I plan on doing as GBov does and butchering some as suckling pigs and others at around 6-8 months, as well as growing some to the two year mark.

Back in the early 20th century, organized crime rings used to have arrangements with hog farms. When they would have a body that needed to disappear, they would contact their hog farmer and tell him to not be home on Friday night. This was a signal to the hog farmer to starve the hogs for a few days. Then, they would dump a body in the hog lot on Friday night and by morning, the 800 pound hogs would have devoured everything ... bones, shoes, even leather belts! Better than composting! :twisted:

I have heard about that, but not the part about starving the hogs for a couple of days. I will keep that in mind if I ever plan on murdering someone. :twisted: ;)

Considering that my piggies make a high pitched squeal when they feel they haven't gotten fed adequately, I shudder to think of the noise at the hog farm on the days without feed. :x

wamplercathy":24a22hxn said:
I'm not condoning feeding corps to pigs. But if your going to do it, don't do half measures! :mrgreen: :p :lol: :lol:

:lol:

You might want to visit a 1000 pound hog up close. He could step on a human head and crush it.

:x ...and this is why I have little pigs. Supposedly they max out around 300lbs. Which is still big- but not quite as alarming as a commercial hog. ;)

GBov":24a22hxn said:
I fed all my butcher waste to my PBPs when they lived at home with me and it all went away and turns into pork. BUT!!! I found it was mostly the boys eating it!

Hmm. I butchered a dozen rabbits on Saturday and gave the guts to the pigs. They were not terribly enthusiastic about it, but did eventually eat it. I will have to watch them more closely next time and see if my boys prefer it.

GBov":24a22hxn said:
Guinea hogs sure are cute but, to be honest, if you hadnt told me they were Guineas, I would have sworn they were PBPs! :oops: :lol:

For all I know, they could be, lol. Although no-one on the GH page has said that they aren't Guinea hogs. But yeah... they just look like little pigs to me too. :roll:

They are definitely AGH. Ours tended to have a very high percentage of fat. I'm certain that it was not from overfeeding. I think they simply have been genetically modified over time. Afterall, lard production was very important in homesteaders hog breeding goals.
We butchered at around 100 pounds. Easy to handle but not much pure meat. I may switch back to AGH at some point down the road, especially as the nest continues to empty. As I age, I have a greater appreciation for low maintenance livestock.
If you really want to give them a treat, find a pumpkin field after Thanksgiving and load up. Pumpkin is actually pig candy! Also, sour milk, molded cheese, potatoe salad and noodles will make them chase you across the yard. Don't forget to neuter your butcher males early.

Rabbitdog":1yn180tt said:
They are definitely AGH.

Thank you for the confirmation!

Ours tended to have a very high percentage of fat. I'm certain that it was not from overfeeding. I think they simply have been genetically modified over time. Afterall, lard production was very important in homesteaders hog breeding goals.

They are known as a "lard pig", and I have read that if fed lots of hog chow they really put on the fat. Mine are getting just a bit of pig feed- and only because I am concerned that they may not be getting all of the nutrients they need from what I am providing for them.

If you really want to give them a treat, find a pumpkin field after Thanksgiving and load up. Pumpkin is actually pig candy!

I am planning on loading up on pumpkins (hopefully free field gleanings!) and storing them in the basement. We are also growing our own pumpkins, and I am not big on pumpkin pie, so most of them will go to the piggies. :)

Also, sour milk, molded cheese, potatoe salad and noodles will make them chase you across the yard.

They have had all of that. I just cooked some whole wheat noodles that we got from the food giveaway for them since none of the humans like them and added that to boiled potatoes and clotted cream.

Don't forget to neuter your butcher males early.

I plan to... but how do you do it? Hold and slice like you do with steer? Or band like goats and sheep?

Mine are already castrated, but I will need to know how to go about it when I have my first litters.

MamaSheepdog":crm6dnkt said:
I plan to... but how do you do it? Hold and slice like you do with steer? Or band like goats and sheep?

Absolutely no slicing, no banding. Takes 2 people. It's pretty easy but do them sooner rather than later. It's easier on the piglet and you. there are plenty of vids on youtube that are good sources. Just make sure your incision is vertical rather than horizontal. The cut must be able to drain. You'll be amazed how quickly they heal and in time, you won't even be able to find a scar. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:58 pm __________ <br /><br /> MSD,
How about an update on the hogs. Any hogletts yet?

MamaSheepdog is one of our moderators. She is currently AWOL (Away WITH Official Leave) due to other commitments. She checks in when she is able to, but you may have to wait awhile for your update.

Back