Dumb newbie genetics question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foresthomemama

Reaction score
Ok, I will state before I even finish typing this, that this is a stupid newbie question. But... here goes...

One bew nz/Flemish mix doe and one bew nz/Flemish buck go into a hutch together...

Would the kits be all white, or would they produce kits with other colors?

Do you have pictures of the rabbits? Bew is very uncommon in flemish giants or new zealands as it is produced by two copies of a color gene that is unrecognized in either breed. (Vienna) Not saying it's impossible, but that it's presence would definitely indicate some other breed in the woodpile.

If the animals look white and have blue eyes, the most likely color is ermine, as it can be created by genes that both breeds commonly carry.
(chinchilla+anything recessive to it and two copies of non-extension.)
Ermines usually have some amount of darker hairs somewhere on their bodies, whereas rews and bews typically do not.

(Overseas, what we call himi is sometimes referred to as ermine, but the genes are totally different than what produces a US ermine.)

I said this in another thread, but my first breeders were 2 REW/"NZW" does and a broken tri buck (mostly white with some dots of black and brown). Put together I thought for sure all the babies would be nearly all white... HA! 2 harlequins, variety of brokens, a chestnut or two. I was so surprised at all the color! :lol: Hindsight? I wish I still had that buck! DH's cousin has him now... I could technically ask for him back, but pretty sure all his rabbits have vent disease now :x .

Not a dumb question b/c I most definitely did not know either ;) You don't know unless you ask, right??

If they are true BEW with ice-blue eyes which is unlikely with those breeds, most likely the babies will all be BEW (with a small possibility of REWs)

If their eyes are more like blue-gray, they're really ermines, and breeding two ermines together will most likely get you more ermines (again with a possible small chance of rews) but also its not impossible to produce other colors like sallander - ermine genetics are not as simple as white genetics. Out of a Flemish/NZ herd, ermine is the most likely color to be white with dark eyes.

If they are both REW, they will only produce REW

Latest posts

Back