Lavender Essential Oil

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyM

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I make my own soap so use this a lot and have a bit on hand. Can I use this in my bunnies' water to de-stress them? I plan on moving them inside for winter and into new cages as well. I use a 5 gallon bucket with flex tubing for 2 does and a buck. I usually only put 3 gallons of water in the bucket. How much EO for that much water?

I also have waterers that hang on the cage individually if that would be better for "medicating" purposes. Thanks!

I don't think I would want to use lavender essential oil in the rabbits' water. It is a powerful herb and its main use is giving lavender buds (fresh or dried) to a doe who is drastically overdue or who seems to have retained kits or placental material. It is supposed to clear out the uterus.

I suppose you could try putting it on a piece of cloth or cotton and hanging it in the rabbitry as aromotherapy, but I don't know if this would be a good idea or not.

Moving rabbits from one location to another with the same feed, caregiver etc. is not usually very stressful for them. They should be fine without extras like lavender oil.

I have used lavender oil to calm rabbits prior to, and during "vet type" work being done on them, or immediately after some traumatic event, [ie: when someone brings a rabbit over to me after a dog attack] -- I rub a drop or two on the hair above their nose with my finger, not on the nose or facial skin as it seems to burn them, or at least be uncomfortable --
I think it helps calm them a lot-- but-- I would never consider using it in drinking water or for any prolonged time.

Thanks Maggie, I am not super-worried about them but figured I'd try to help them ease into it a bit if I could since I have the lavender oil already.

Michael, I hadn't thought of applying it! Good idea!

Seriously glad I read this - I keep lavender in my kit to make 'sleepy time' pillows! Don't want the buns getting into those!

Latest posts

Back