Timothy hay vs. Grass hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
I feed timothy hay right now but due to no more timothy suppliers within a reasonable driving distance I would prefer to switch to another hay. My local feed store sells Grass hay....is there any nutritional difference? Would this be a good choice?

Timothy is a kind of grass, so another grass hay should be okay, especially if you are giving it to them mainly for the fibre. You could ask at the feed store what kind of grass is in the hay. What else are you feeding them?

There is no simple answer to that question..
, in addition to the "regular" old time timothy grass grown for hay, there is also some others-- "Climax Timothy", "Colt Timothy", and "Horizon Timothy [a newer one developed in Japan]
..Timothy is a good grass hay for rabbits, but other grass hays are also acceptable if the hay is of good quality, and harvested properly and at the proper time.
Some of these are listed below
coastal bermuda grass
Ryegrass
Orchard grass
Bluegrass
Reed Canary grass
Smooth bromegrass
bluestem
gamagrass [when young]
Johnson grass [if grown, harvested, and cured properly ]
there are a few more less common grass hays
Using hay to feed rabbits is as much about the quality of that particular batch of hay as it is about the type of grass hay you choose to feed, --
as with any other feed change, switch over slowly if you can-[especially with small breeds] - don't wait until you are already out of the hay they are used to and then begin the change over to a different hay. [some rabbits are more sensitive than others to hay changes- Small breeds are more prone to GI issues - so caution is especially important]
I also feed a lot of other feeds, or pellets-- I don't give a hay change with my rabbits a second thought...
JMHO... <br /><br /> -- Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:26 am -- <br /><br /> Just an additional thought to explain my view of feeding grass hay.. [as opinions vary]
I feed grass hay primarily as a source of long stem fiber, not as a primary nutrient source for the rabbits.
I feel commercial pelleted feed is too low in long stem fiber for adult rabbits, especially older rabbits.
I do like Timothy because of its high protein content, but-- in older rabbits high protein is usually a negative. [especially for pet rabbits]
lactating does need a lot of energy, no grass hay will supply enough of that...

MaggieJ":3ruoyryp said:
Timothy is a kind of grass, so another grass hay should be okay, especially if you are giving it to them mainly for the fibre. You could ask at the feed store what kind of grass is in the hay. What else are you feeding them?

Thanks! :) I forgot to ask when I bought it...maybe I'll call. :oops:
I also feed pellets for protein etc. :)

michaels4gardens":3ruoyryp said:
...as with any other feed change, switch over slowly if you can-[especially with small breeds] - don't wait until you are already out of the hay they are used to and then begin the change over to a different hay. [some rabbits are more sensitive than others to hay changes- Small breeds are more prone to GI issues - so caution is especially important]
I also feed a lot of other feeds, or pellets-- I don't give a hay change with my rabbits a second thought...
JMHO...

-- Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:26 am --

Just an additional thought to explain my view of feeding grass hay.. [as opinions vary]
I feed grass hay primarily as a source of long stem fiber, not as a primary nutrient source for the rabbits.
I feel commercial pelleted feed is too low in long stem fiber for adult rabbits, especially older rabbits.
I do like Timothy because of its high protein content, but-- in older rabbits high protein is usually a negative. [especially for pet rabbits]
lactating does need a lot of energy, no grass hay will supply enough of that...

I feed pellets as well as hay. They get limited pellets but unlimited hay. I've raised rabbits for a couple years now and know to transition foods slowly. I bought a timothy hay bale back in 2014 and that one bale has lasted me these two years since they don't eat much and I have very few rabbits especially when I first started. I searched around and couldn't find any timothy suppliers close by (my previous supplier is in an alfalfa year) so I just went with grass hay at my local feed store. I'm liking the bale so far and have introduced a small amount to one of my bunnies. I will slowly easing the rest into it soon. It seems to be going well. :) I agree with you though Micheals4gardens, imo I don't think bunnies should live solely on hay or solely on pellets, it should be a balance of both or something else to supplement for both the right protein and fiber. :) I like the pellets because they have the correct minerals as well.

Back