Register

RE: making or losing money?

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,715.00

Re: RE: making or losing money?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Zass » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:11 am

Maybe $90 going into feed and supplements on my heaviest breeding months.

Meat grocery bill of $0 for a family of 4. (pretty sure most families spend at least $90 a month on meat)

Lots of money saved on high end pet chow.
Tons of great compost which is used to save even more on groceries
Red worms I mostly use as a poultry feed supplement and barter item (We're too soft hearted to fish with the things) again though, it saves on groceries, since we eat poultry and eggs and barter for produce.

and furs.

I rarely do live sales, but...I think we're doing alright. :)

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 12,899.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Susie570 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:14 am

Zass wrote:Maybe $90 going into feed and supplements on my heaviest breeding months.

Meat grocery bill of $0 for a family of 4. (pretty sure most families spend at least $90 a month on meat)

Lots of money saved on high end pet chow.
Tons of great compost which is used to save even more on groceries
Red worms I mostly use as a poultry feed supplement and barter item (We're too soft hearted to fish with the things) again though, it saves on groceries, since we eat poultry and eggs and barter for produce.

and furs.

I rarely do live sales, but...I think we're doing alright. :)

I think it sounds like you're doing great :D
Mini Lops!!
If you love Lop Rabbits, come visit the Lop Rabbit forum at http://LopRabbitsUSA.com! See ya there!

Female
BunnyBucks: 10.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby FoxTail » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi. I have been trying to find info on whether or not one can make money at this. It seems to be a mystery and very hush hush.
Thanks for sharing what you did!

We are in Wyoming and people do not eat rabbit...in front of other people. They're pets. But, I am going to eat rabbit, and sell rabbits for other people to eat.

We show and sell Mini Rex, and now have bought quality Standard Rex to show, sell, and eat. I have to learn to process it, but believe I can do it. I want to tan the hides too.

It all takes so much of my time. I'm a single mom with a more than full time job. But, I kinda love everything about the rabbits. :D

-Kristin

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 20,200.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Marinea » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:27 pm

Whether or not you can make money depends on so many variables.

I live in a rural area where folks are getting into raising rabbits for meat. Most of my sales are to people wanting their own breeding stock. If people in your area don't eat rabbit, you likely won't get a lot of meat rabbit sales. However, there are still options for you. Pet sales is one. Raising your own meat will lower your grocery bill, saving you money, and if you process the hides, I believe there is an opportunity to make money selling the pelts. Some people also make money selling rabbit manure.

There are ways out there. Do your research and think about how much time you have to make it happen. Good luck!
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 55,633.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:01 pm

I know my circumstances were very favourable (lots of gathered greens, cheap alfalfa hay etc.) but I could raise rabbit meat for 75 cents a pound, table-ready. The cheapest, most horrible meat in the supermarket (badly trimmed chicken leg quarters, grossly coarse and fat pork chops etc.) cost at least a dollar a pound. My rabbit meat costs included maintenance of my breeders as well as the cost of growing out fryers and roasters.

It was a good deal for us! :D

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 4,613.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Rainey » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:23 pm

I second Maggie's post. Haven't calculated it all out as she did, but for us the issue isn't making money from the rabbits but spending less and having food that is nutritious and delicious.

The following user would like to thank Rainey for this post
MaggieJ, michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,930.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:10 pm

one good thing about rabbits is-- if you really needed to-- rabbit meat could be produced from gathering plants growing within walking distance of most rural folks.
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,610.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby a7736100 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:02 pm

I spend $35 every 2 weeks for pellets. Can't eat them any more because it's too hard for me emotionally to kill them since I hug and pet each one. Easiest for me to sell a whole litter cheap to the pet shop before I get attached to them. Problem is more people have baby rabbits than there are potential pet owners.

Previous