canning [bottling] rabbit "bone in"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bottled some rabbit "bone in" because I had read that it had a better , richer, flavor.
It was an epic fail.
no one liked it better,
some thought it tasted worse, with an "off flavor"
no one liked removing the bones after it was bottled.
does anyone else have experience with "bone in" bottling of rabbit???

I have no experience with canned whole rabbit but like you, I would have guessed that it would be as good or better than w/o bone. We can tons of rabbit meat but always deboned, simply because one can pack so much more boneless meat in a jar. It's extra work but the results are great. I've often been tempted to just whole pack the quarters but never tried. However, there are youtube vids of such.

michaels4gardens":207o2jdg said:
It was an epic fail.
no one liked it better, some thought it tasted worse, with an "off flavor" ....
I wonder if something failed in the canning process??? I may can one whole next time around just for my own edification. I'll be butchering the next 2 litters in about 10-12 days. Will let you know how it goes!

Here's a comment from an earlier post that mentions bone in canning ....

Re: New unit
Post Number:#9 Postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:34 am

Zinnia wrote:
I want to can rabbit! Bone in or out?

This time I canned it both ways... first I quartered all of the rabbits. The ribs were used to make stock, and I simmered each bone in piece for a few minutes before boning them.

It made it much easier- I pretty much pulled the meat off of the hindquarters, cutting only the tendons and then chopped it up. Cutting the meat from the loin was laughably simple, and the spine got tossed back into the stockpot. :)

Front legs were put in the jars bone in.

I have two quarts of "wings" and 5 quarts of chopped meat... well, 4 now, since we had Teriyaki rabbit (with zucchini, green beans, and bell pepper from the garden!) and rice for dinner last night. I used the broth from the jar (2 cups) mixed with 2 cups water for the rice. Yum! :dinner:

I usually cook mine up in a big stock pot in chicken stock, celery, carrots S&P and of course garlic till it shreds off the bone. Because of the processing time at pressure I don't want all the little bones in it from the back and ribs.

Homer":u5z2eljt said:
I usually cook mine up in a big stock pot in chicken stock, celery, carrots S&P and of course garlic till it shreds off the bone. Because of the processing time at pressure I don't want all the little bones in it from the back and ribs.

I agree..
. I generally do a quick pressure cook, cool it off, remove all the bones, bottle the meat, pressure cook the bones for another 2 hrs at 15 lbs with a few inches of water covering them, feed the now soft bones to the chickens, and bottle the broth for soup stock.

Back