opal mini lop question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBA

Reaction score
Still trying to understand colors and dilutes and such.
I aquired a mini lop doe yesterday. I feel she is not show quality due to a very narrow crown, but her body type is great, from what I can tell.
She has a beautiful opal coat.
If I understand, opal is a dilute of black, right?

Next question, if I breed her to a buck that we have (loplover, I'm talking about Oliver), that has a very good strong crown, what are the chances of the kits having good crowns? Is it kind of a 50/50 thing?

As for color, she is opal, the buck is chestnut, what color variety of kits might ensue?

So if opal is a dilute of chestnut, and she is bred to a chestnut, pretty likely all kits would be chestnut?

How many generations back does it have to carry? IOW, if it doesn't show on his pedigree, but maybe it could one or two more generations back, does that change the likelyhood?
The opal doe is from chestnut agouti and chestnut, before that was chestnut agouti, blue, broken chestnut, and chestnut.

I guess I have a lot more to learn, I thought all chestnuts were agouti.

What about the crown issue? Is that something that is a more dominate or recessive?

The chances are slim if no parents or grandparents or great grand parents were a blue colour (blue, Opal, smoke Pearl etc.... )

All Chestnuts are agouti :shock: chestnut is just one of several agouti based colours

Actually the opal doe has blue, and smoke pearl in her background. And lynx if that matters.
As far as chestnut colors, some of the lines in her pedigree say chestnut, some say chestnut agouti, so I assumed there was a difference, but thanks for clearing that up for me. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:07 pm __________ <br /><br /> Ok, I got out the bucks pedigree
He is chestnut agouti
Then parents are both chestnut agouti
Grandparents are chestnut agouti, chestnut agouti, broken chestnut agouti, gold tipped blue steel
Great grandparents are
Black steel gold tipped, black steel gold tipped, sable steel gold tipped, black steel gold tipped, chestnut agouti, black Japanese (???), gold tipped black steel and gold tipped black steel.

What is black Japanese?

Harlequins

So it is unlikely your buck has a dilute/blue gene and you probably won't get anything but chestnuts

Lop ears are not a simple recessive and even two rabbits with nicely lopped ears can produce helicopters :(

If I may, both Oliver's father and mother carried dilute and he had Opal brothers and sisters. Oliver's father is also a known REW carrier. There is a 1/4 chance statistically that he doesn't carry dilute. More then likely, you will get Opals. As far as tight crowns go, I bred my doe Bree (profile pic) who has an AWESOME crown, to a buck that I had that I kept mainly for his crown (stupid jerk bit me so he's gone now) and got a litter of what looked like Netherland Dward/Mini Lop crosses. Big squishy faces and big old upright ears! This litter she has now is out of Oliver's sire and their ears flopped at 2 weeks. It depends on how they click. If you curious about the doe's quality, bring her along to Layfeyette next weekend and I'll take a look at her.

Woo hoo :)

If both of Oliver's parents are dilute carriers (Dd & Dd) then there is a 66% chance he carries dilute and you could get Opals

If he carries REW on his C-locus and the doe sable then you might even get sable agouti, which look sorta like chinchilla (or blue sable agouti) :)

Dood":jtq1pp2b said:
If he carries REW on his C-locus and the doe sable then you might even get sable agouti, which look sorta like chinchilla (or blue sable agouti) :)

How would you put Sable Agouti on a Pedigree? Would you put Sable Steel?

Oh no, it has nothing to do with steel

Sable agouti is sable agouti ... there is no other name for it BUT most people cannot tell the difference so put down Chinchilla :(

Thanks for the info.
When I say her crown is narrow, maybe I am describing it wrong. Her ears are fully lopped, but her head itself looks a little narrower than the other mini lops we have.

Dood":37yqq2xl said:
Oh no, it has nothing to do with steel

Sable agouti is sable agouti ... there is no other name for it BUT most people cannot tell the difference so put down Chinchilla :(

I believe the 'sable' part is the very light brownish shading in spots like the back of the neck. Otherwise, the rabbit is blue and white.

in reference to DOOD's post about the sable agouti.. wouldnt it be a Black Chinchilla?? That is what i put on the pedigrees of my mini lops that happen to be that color. Or if they are a blue agouti wouldnt that be a sable chinchilla

Nope

There are 5 colours on the C-locus

C_ = full colour
cchd_ = chinchilla AKA dark shaded
cchl _ = sable AKA light shaded
ch_ = himilayan
cc = REW

Ive since learned that sable agouti is sometimes called "sable chinchilla" in some breeds and can come in black, chocolate, blue and lilac varieties

A "blue agouti" would be the same as "Opal" which is a dilute of chestnut

A dilute/blue chinchilla is often called "squirrel"

I guess a dilute sable agouti could be called a blue sable chin :?

Back