The first one done...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot_158

Reaction score
Just got done dispatching my first rabbit. I have never done this even hunting. Because I have never hunted rabbits. I was more nervous about getting a quick and humane kill then I was at processing it. 2 downers really helps but was still a wreck. :D Yes these are prescribed meds. It probably took me long than it should. I found it tough to get thru the skin without nicking any thing important. I was going to use the hammer method but the rabbit would not give a good shot. So instead I use the rack method. And I heard a crunch but the eye was still reactive so I quickly put it back under the rack and broke a couple more verts. Then slice its neck to bleed it out. Other than the skin giving me a problem the rest went pretty smooth. Like other said their is a slight smell but nothing to gross anyone out. All internal organs had no spots so I guess this is a very healthy rabbit. I currently have it in a bowl of salt water. Wasnt sure how much salt so I just added a teaspoon full of regular salt. If you find problems with this please post. I am new so all ideals are welcomed. I felt really bad just before the deed was about to happen. But after I seen how quickly it died I didnt feel so bad. :eek:

Congratulations! :)
The ease of a near instantaneous kill is one of the many reasons I like raising them so much.

I have a few here right now that I really do not wish to cull, but, I know I always feel better once it's done.

Now I hope they are as tasty as people say they are. It will make the rest go real fast. Giving a new meaning to fast food. :D

__________ Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:05 am __________

Well we cook the first one up for supper tonight. Jus in oil so there would be no spices to cover the tast. My worst critic love it and said she would eat more of it. So let the breeding and butching begin. :D

Congrats: :p :p
After a few thousand it gets a lot easier... and faster.
BTW: did you watch the video on processing??
It's helped a lot of folks.... best of luck.. and cook the liver.
It's the best you'll ever eat.

Grumpy.

grumpy":3s58ygqc said:
Congrats: :p :p
After a few thousand it gets a lot easier... and faster.
BTW: did you watch the video on processing??
It's helped a lot of folks.... best of luck.. and cook the liver.
It's the best you'll ever eat.

Grumpy.

I watched your video and many others. Yea I tryed the liver and kidney and heart. The liver was good but the kidney and heart was a little chewy. And the hide in the freezer waiting on more.

Back